Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Identify Poland? Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
102 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  06:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Anzelmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, m8s!

Need help. I think it is some sort of Poland coin, but I can't identify it.

Silver
Diameter max 23.20 mm
Weight 1.05 g

Edited by Anzelmas
01/25/2022 06:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not Poland.

To me the design looks like Low Countries (or nearby), and I think we can see a date of 1505. But it does not look like the design of a coin under Burgundian rule, and I am puzzled by the small shield in the center of each side.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a coin of Friesland under Saxon rule.
Maybe 1/2 stuiver of Leeuwarden like this one (hard to tell because the coin in the link is in such poor condition, but I think we can see enough).
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8165782
I've taken your first photo (which that link has as the reverse), and shown how your legend and date are a match:

The other side is easier, where we can see the legend MONETA NO DV before it becomes too worn.

Edited by tdziemia
01/26/2022 5:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1054 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you nailed it, @tdziemia. I scratched my head but gave up. Impressive work!

Quote:
we can see the legend MONETA NO DV before it becomes too worn

I think it is even possible to at least discern letter forms consistent with the ...X SAXON GVB that follows.
Valued Member
Sweden
102 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anzelmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia, with your help I found it. You are 101% right. The coin is:

Friesland, Dukes of Saxony
Stuiver 1505
Ruler: Georg van Saksen (1504-1515)
Reference: Van der Chijs VII-6

It's a pitty that I can't upload the .pdf file here. The .pdf file is very good quality and all details can be seen.
Maybe somebody knows the value of this coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to be able to help!

We might be surprised that the coin in such poor condition sold for 140 euro in that Heritage Europe auction this year.
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?lot...lot&sid=4712
So, yours is comparable or slightly better in my opinion.

I would be grateful if you can post the link to Van der Chijs. I've been expanding my interest in Low Countries coinage, and do not yet have this in my e-archive.
Edited by tdziemia
01/26/2022 9:07 pm
Valued Member
Sweden
102 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  05:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anzelmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!

For some of the smaller states in medieval Low Countries (Gelderland, etc.) I think this is still the most often cited reference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Are they still working on the reprint?
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: