Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 D Elliptical Planchet Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 477Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 12319558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 1955 D penny that I am pretty sure is an elliptical planchet error. I tried looking online for one, but even though I looked EVERYWHERE, I could not find one with this date. I did find some similar ones however. I have no idea of how much this coin is worth. Does anyone have an idea on that? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it's the result of intentional, post-strike damage. Perhaps someone in a machine shop with a little too much time on their hands. The coin didn't leave the striking chamber in that condition. Do you have a weight for the piece? Others will be along to comment.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 12319558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No weight. The edge/rim of the coin looks normal though. Nothing struck into the edge/rim of the coin. That is why I think it is genuine. This is not my department of coin errors though.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14706 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Not genuine.
A coin struck in collar cannot be that shape.
Has been modified so it is PMD
Learn More...
United States
23270 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@123, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree that someone (or something) has shaved down parts of the edge of a normal, round coin to give you this. It may have happened a long time ago and now the metal has all toned evenly, but it definitely didn't leave the mint looking like this. We something similar on medieval silver coins where consumers were trying to make a little extra money by shaving down their coins. I'm not saying that whoever did this to your coin was trying to harvest a little copper, but just to illustrate that this sort of coin damage has been around for a very long time.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, intentional post mint damage. There is nothing in the minting process that would produce such a coin.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7477 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the suppositions, are logic and pointed. I see something, like a very light off-center, then the clip effect but not everywhere the coin is deform. And better light photo is necessary. I do not advance any opinions, and agree is hard to believe a coin on this form can go out from the chamber, but with a collar lack ? 1955 was the year when they strike like crazy over 1 Bill coins in Denver, so many things could happened. A better photo is required and also from the sides if it is possible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4420 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I agree that the coin looks, for the most part, like intentional damage, I am including here an image of my elliptical clip. There are enough similarities that I wouldn't write this one off without a bit more research.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, from the point of view of physics of the coins, the minor off-center will result in an elliptical form due to the forces applied and the angles. Trop you has one side and give the elliptical at 180 degrees. Normal. In the case of a coins who miss one part of the collar what will happened? := Deform elliptical coin.

The rim side photos are very important in this case to elucidate the dilemmas.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67743 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am totally clueless on this and admit it freely.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 12319558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are some pictures of the rim of the coin. I now agree with you guys because there are some markings on the rim and it looks like some machine bent the rim. Thank you guys for the info!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57443 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatman77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its definitely PMD, iv'e seen many of these, I just put in my junk pile, unless it is a semi or key date
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: