Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1952 D Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - O/C With Texture - Stop The Presses!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 578Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:07 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, recently Will posted a very cool 1952-D off center Lincoln cent with a strange texture in the unstruck portion. You can find that thread here.

http://goccf.com/t/407412

Now, I recently bought a 1952-S off center, and when a slabbed 1952-D came up last week I bought it to maybe do a set of 1952 P,D,S. No biggie. But when it came in and I took a look, well, it's got the same disease that Will's coin has. In fact, could very well be the same die. (Will, note the die cracks visible on the forehead and compare yours)

Since Mike was thinking about writing up something on Will's coin, I suspect this second coin with the same thing going on will be useful to help solve the riddle.

Anyway, here is the one I've got, and can crack it out for weight or whatever is needed or send to Mike.

1952-D Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - off center with texture

And I just really love the monkled devices. Here is TRUST

Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat, looking forward to explanations for this.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your concern it is about the non strike part, metallurgical I can say: This planchet it is a part of the end of foliated site of the roll. Due to the annealing, the very small quantity of the gas who is inside expand and make the surface look like this. Will blow?!!? no one can answer yet. It is show that if this part of the roll will be strike it is more to develop hard oxidations, but it is a theory which was not been yet confirmed. If you make and SEM-EDX test will tell you exact what it is inside and what it is the danger, also to know how to step again. An test like this it is around 2.5k
Edited by silviosi
01/26/2022 02:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know why the NG say 7:30. Please give me the measurement in mm of one of the green lines and I will tell you exact the OFF center. My opinion it is bigger then they say. In June 1st they will have the OK to use my gauche for.

PS. TROP, If Mike want to contact me, I will be glad to tell what the studies are. I didn't speak with him from an California Show, to old me to remember the year.
Edited by silviosi
01/26/2022 03:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3243 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a spectacular coin Bats! I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Diamond has to say.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
Progress can only be achieved through trial and error. Failure is the greatest teacher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44629 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool TB. You may want to PM Mike.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67632 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa!
Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57370 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being not in the collar will allow the strike to stretch the devices as it strikes the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7389 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4962 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin! I hope it gets in the story!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cool. I bet he would want to see it. As he just got done with mine!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  01:15 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the great replies! Finally got a chance to ping Mike so will see if it is worthy of further attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2188 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I had known about this specimen before submitting my article. The presence of a second, identical specimen bolsters the idea that one of the rollers was coated with a lumpy paste. The lumps would have been squeezed and stretched in the direction the strip was moving. The other hypotheses I presented in my article depend on one-off events. Thanks for posting this.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You work fast! I didn't see the texture when I bought it so didn't know about it until I got a look at it when it arrived or could have said something earlier. But at least it gives more information on what was going on.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 578Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: