Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924-D Wheat Cent - Strike Thru Grease Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Coin Community,

While this looks pretty worn, I am thinking this is a potential strike thru grease. There are details present in the face that would not typically be there with the amount of wear on the other devices/lettering.

A couple of items of feedback I am looking for -->
1) Confirmation if this is a true strike thru grease.
2) If so, I would love to hear your perspective on the relative rarity of this Error in this date.

Thank you all for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
5968 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I'm seeing a 1920D that has taken a lot of hits.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking wear and circulation flattening, and a lot of it. Common in (very) well-circulated early wheat cents. I've come across mountains of these (from '09-late '20s).

Value for a '20 D in this condition ranges from 5 to 15 cents (or so).
Edited by ijn1944
01/26/2022 3:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yung_bath_salts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback.

In terms of selling this, would it make sense for me to compile a roll of 1920-D Wheats and sell like that, or just toss this in a roll of assorted wheats or 1920's wheats?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67613 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The latter, I'd say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7371 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23206 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes heavy circulation wear—the rims are characteristically worn into the tops of the letters.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It also gas a strong case of Die Deterioration as well.

Notice the ragged base of Lincoln's bust. That was very prevalent in 1925 & 1926. Between the date and the rim to the SE as well.

ps. I'll take your word for it being a 1924D. It looks like 1920D to these eyes.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "struck through time" coin to me, he's done his work and then some and it's time to pass it on.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a 1920 to me as well. I think the error is with your title.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatman77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1920 D Wheat cent worth $1.11 and if it is a 1920 d then maybe fill a roll up with them, but on the 1920 the 0 usually the same size as the 2 - but on this coin the 0 is smaller which makes mw think its a 1926 D which is worth $1.50, also fill up a roll of them if that's what you have
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: