Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts (And Grade) On This 1902 Liberty Nickel

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 888Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5842 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't offend in an NGC PF-66 holder. Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm still anxiously awaiting the arrival of the coin so I can take my own pics in the holder. Hoping for tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PF-65. CAM? Pretty coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2022  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the long delay; evidently the shipping was delayed due to the bad weather in the northeast. I finally received the nickel today and my attempts at taking the photos didn't turn out too well (I still struggle a bit with proof coins). I'll try again tomorrow.

I will admit I referenced the NGC pics prior to the decision to purchase this coin, as I had concerns with it being overgraded based on the seller's pics alone. The seller's pics are usually quite representative, but I feel this coin looks far nicer in hand (even under magnification) than the seller's pics appear or even the NGC pics, though the latter are more representative. As you'll see, everyone's guess on the grade, except for one, was at least two numeric grades lower than what NGC put on the label.

I got this coin for just over Greysheet, but there's a pretty good spread between this grade and one grade lower. I'm going to spend some more time with it the next day or two, and if I don't feel completely comfortable with it I may return it. At the moment, though, I'm leaning towards keeping it.

As always, any thoughts/comments are appreciated, and as mentioned I'll try again to take some better pics to share tomorrow. Thanks!
Edited by hokiefan_82
02/01/2022 5:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, here's about the best I can do. I still have some learning and practice to do on photographing proof coins - trying to get the exposure and white balance right is giving me some headaches on these. However, comparing side to side with the coin itself, under magnification, these are very close.

Edited by hokiefan_82
02/01/2022 8:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a NICE coin!! That is quality right there.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: