Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 And 2+ Feather Buffalo Nickel Die Marker References

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 635Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  11:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Added the 1913-D to another thread, but figured I would start a new thread where I can add (very slowly) updates and new sheets for different years. Feel free to comment, make additions, correct, and debate!

I chose the route of using PCGS and auction photos for alot of these due to my own images not being the sharpest. I will throw in an example of my own from time to time, hopefully with some "decent" closeups of die markers. Of course, credit due to the late Ron Pope for all of his invaluable publishing's and references. These are just simple additions/observations/opinions I've slapped on sticky notes and decided to "organize" them a bit.

Die Marker #3 in combination with the other factors has always been something that can be easily spotted IMO. Wasn't until very recently I added #4 to the list. Noticed this feature not as pronounced on potential earlier die states of this variety. The extent of the polished fields in this area is much more pronounced in hand. Will "attempt" to get some pics up at some point.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up, the 1928-S 2+F

Die Marker #3 is more apparent in hand, had a tough time trying to dig up an decent image showing it. I have a few of these, one of which is an early/mid LDS and these polishing lines are very pronounced. The die polishing lines are also more pronounced where the 3rd feather should be, along with die polishing lines on the back of the neck below the braid. These die scratches are less apparent on VLDS examples from what Ive seen.

This is also why I made mention (speculation) of the possible mintage numbers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A major thank you for sharing your knowledge with us :)
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
5170 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see myself visiting this topic again and again in my quest for 2F Buffs...Thanks
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - this will be a valuable thread for the 2F hunters! Thanks, @Ty.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding the 1920-D 2+ Feather to the list. There are multiple dies for this one, Die 1 in a later die stage being the strongest IMO.

Here is an example from my collection with virtually no feather, about as close as a 2+ feather can get to a true 2 feather IMO.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are dies 2, 3, and 4.

Not much needs to be said for Die 2. A straight forward, VLDS, abraded die, quite obvious in hand.

Would like to get my hands on examples from dies 3 and 4 (to hopefully prove or disprove some opinions). I've only seen images for a couple of examples of 4, and recently missed out on a sale for one. From what I've seen, as I mentioned, the 3rd feather is more prominent than the others. This can also be deceiving from images alone, so maybe seeing one in hand would change my opinion of it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great resource. You are doing a fantastic job. I hope you are keeping these files. Should eventually add to a website or ebook like Ron Pope's.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a hard copy, posting here for CCF, and full size files are posted to the Buffalo nickel Club Forum.
https://buffalonickelclub.org/commu.../2-feathers/ join if you haven't already!

Edited by Ty2020b
02/03/2022 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding a tough one! The 1925-D 2+F, one known die for this one.

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ty2020b,
These are really great reference sheets thanks so much for putting them together. I was curious as to where you found more up to date URS scale information (then Pope, 2016) that you mention in the 1925-D 2+F sheet. I guess I assumed most would go in the other direction as more surfaced over time. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1buff2many, I picked up a couple copies of one of his more recent printings about a year ago (not sure if he updated them after that). Ron has it listed as a URS-06.
PM me if you can 1buff2many, I see you're email is set to not receive.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Ty2020b, I had wondered if he had more recent versions of his book, I was trying to track down a physical copy for purchase more recently but was having trouble, it is a shame about his passing. I updated my profile to allow e-mails but it looks like I might be too new to send them myself yet. I wonder if it would work on your end now, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure where to order now, after his passing. I purchased this last one through him directly.

PM sent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't been updating this thread as quickly as I would have liked, but here is another one. The coin pictured is one from my collection.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the coin pictured above, along with another circulated example I have. I have others not yet imaged, will post at a later date for reference.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 635Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: