Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial - Warren Gamaliel Harding Memorial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've written before about how the Act that authorized the 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar included language that not only referred to its intended commemoration of the start of the Stone Mountain Memorial carving, but also about the coin being struck "in memory of Warren G. Harding, President of the United States of America, in whose administration the work was begun." (Public Law 68-46) (See the link below.)

Though early models of the half dollar's reverse included the inscription "AND IN MEMORY OF WARREN G HARDING" following "COMMEMORATING THE VALOR OF THE SOLDIER OF THE SOUTH / STONE MOUNTAIN GEORGIA", the inscription was eventually removed and the coin was struck without any reference to President Harding - counter to the coin's enabling Act.

1925 Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar

Harding died on August 2, 1923 while on West Coast trip; he died in San Francisco. Though several scandals related to his death were circulated at the time (including death by poisoning), and an initial diagnosis of stroke was announced, today, it is generally believed that Harding died as a result of having a heart attack (he was known to have had an enlarged and weakened heart).

Harding was not forgotten from a numismatic standpoint, however, as the Mint engraved and struck the Harding medal for its "US Presidents Series" in 1924. The Mint referred to the piece as a "Memorial Medal" as it featured Harding's inauguration date and his date of death. The medal was the work of George T. Morgan.

The obverse presents a left-facing portrait of the late President, with "WARREN G." at the rim to the left, and "HARDING" at the rim to the right (all references, viewer's perspective).

The medal's reverse makes wonderful use of allegory. At the design's left is depicted a column (symbolizing strength) and a female figure, wearing a veil, in mourning (she represents the mourning experienced by the people of the United States after the popular Harding's death). In her outstretched right hand, she holds a laurel branch (symbolic of Harding's success and prominent stature). The design also includes a wreath with a palm branch extending through it - the elements are symbolic of peace, victory and eternal life (Harding's memory will live on).

1924 Warren G. Harding Presidential/Memorial Medal

For more on the intended connection of Warren G. Harding to the 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar, check out:

- 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar - President Harding Removed

For other of my posts on the Stone Mountain coin, see: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/28/2022 09:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67743 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks as always!
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

I wonder how Harding's inclusion would have affected its popularity over time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7725 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems - I'm totally impressed and truly amazed on how your research and exceptional writing style can somehow make a connection between the Stone Mountain half and the Harding medal.

The Harding medal is visually very powerful - and your written tour through the allegorical elements of the Harding medal surely resonate with me as I view it in the images provided.

Your outstanding medal collection, that you continue to share, is slowly but surely dragging me into a circling whirlpool of another collectible adventure.

One minor question - the Harding medal reverse shows a heraldic eagle encased in a circle of something - what does that mean?
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One minor question - the Harding medal reverse shows a heraldic eagle encased in a circle of something - what does that mean?

Morgan adapted the Presidential Seal then in use for the medal; the Presidential Seal was based on the Great Seal of the US which incorporates a heraldic eagle. On the eagle's breast is seen the US Shield, in its left talon (viewer's perspective) is seen an olive branch (peace) while its right talon clutches 13 arrows (ready to defend) - together, the elements in the eagle's talons indicate the US prefers peace but has the strength and willingness to defend itself against foes. The eagle is encircled by a laurel wreath, symbolic of success and prosperity.

Quote:
...your written tour through the allegorical elements of the Harding medal surely resonate with me as I view it in the images provided.

Thanks! You won't find such a description in the guide books! It's typical for them to just identify the elements, without going into their symbolism.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, commems, for a great write-up. That's a very interesting medal - the reverse I find particularly attractive.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's a very interesting medal - the reverse I find particularly attractive.

Well-executed allegory is always a "Winner!" to my eyes.

Quote:
I wonder how Harding's inclusion would have affected its popularity over time.

That's tough to say. At the time of the half dollar's release, it likely would have driven some potential buyers away, but brought in others. Over time, I think the impact would have dissipated away. Over the last 50+ years, I don't think it would have had any noticeable impact at all.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: