Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Quietly Lowers Silver Weights?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 2,330Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3650 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stupid bot - metal != medal
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an inconsistency somewhere in their information. I have always believed there to 31.103 grams in a troy ounce. If you look at the 2020 Quarter Silver proof set, it states 31.72 grams (6.343 grams per coin) and 1.12 troy ounces, whereas the 2022 Quarter proof set states 0.995 troy ounces and 31.715 (6.343 x 5 coins) as the weight in grams. I am not sure if there is a statute that addresses what the coin weight should be. I'll just look to see what happens here if or when the mint replies.
Edited by Erscolo
02/06/2022 5:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Notice the specs for the 2021 silver proof limited edition. It lists the quarters weights as 6.343 grams .199 troy oz. But 6.343 grams is not .199 troy oz, it's .2039 troy oz. And .199 troy oz is 6.189 grams. To make these specs correct, the Washington Crossing the Delaware quarter must be 6.343 grams while the Tuskegee quarter must be 6.189 grams.

It looks to me like the marketing copy for the 2021 LES set was incorrect and that error has been carried over to the 2022 Ag quarters set.

The 2021 Ag proof set website indicates there are 27.9gm or .984 oz of Ag in the set (note it's oz and NOT ozt, don't ask me why). This looks to be correct as 2.537gm + 2 x 6.343gm + 12.685gm = 27.908gm = .897ozt = .984oz. So, if you add in two 1.0ozt Silver Eagles then the 2021 LES set should have 2.897 ozt of Ag yet the website indicates 2.876ozt.

Essentially, the 2021 LES website has incorrect Ag amounts listed for everything but the silver eagles. For the dime, 2.537gm = .0815 ozt NOT .079, for the quarters 6.343gm = 2.039ozt NOT .199 and for the half dollar 12.685gm = .4078ozt NOT .399.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone who's gotten a Ag quarters set weighed one of the quarters? I get them with the full Ag set and that's not released yet.

I see from COAs online that the COA says .199 ozt and NOT 6.343 grams like it used to say.
Learn More...
United States
114976 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I get them with the full Ag set and that's not released yet.
Same.

You can ask some of the recipients in this topic:

http://goccf.com/t/419519
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update. My email was sent to "upper management" last Feb. They have ignored me. Haven't heard a peep and likely will never hear from them.
Edited by livingwater
06/28/2022 11:38 am
Learn More...
United States
114976 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried to press this issue since Feb?
Try using the 'freedom of information act to get the info you need. If it the information is public, they have to release it.
Edited by Dearborn
06/28/2022 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3971 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just think about it. The difference between the stated troy oz and your calculations for the half dollar is 0.00883 troy oz. A whole 6/10 of a cent worth of silver. A difference likely within tolerance for most coins.
A bit late, but you must have been looking up prices per gram. In fact 0.00883 troy ounces is about 0.27 grams and worth about 18 cents in silver value; it's also a difference of over 2% from the full weight.
(As it happens, the weight tolerance for 90% silver half dollars, back in the day, was 0.259 grams, which is actually less than this difference!)

Look at the rightmost coin on this pic for an idea of what 0.27 grams in silver looks like. (There's conveniently a dime for scale.) It's a very small amount of silver but not that small.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my 2022 Ag proof set and fired up my milligram scale to weigh the Ag quarters.

The Maya Angelo weighed 6.378gm, the Sally Ride weighed 6.358gm and the Willma Mankiller weighed 6.368. That's an average weight of 6.368gm. Didn't see the need to weigh any more, so I didn't weigh the Otero-Warren and Wong quarters.

Seems pretty clear that the silver quarter weights haven't changed from the previously stated weight of 6.343gm or .205 ozt.

Also, I didn't weigh the Kennedy half or the Roosevelt dime. Since the quarter's weights haven't changed, I suspect that the half dollar and dime weights haven't changed either. Maybe I'll weigh them later, if my curiosity gets the better of me.

So, it appears that someone at the Mint made a mistake when they converted the silver coin weights from grams to troy ounces and then transposed the mistakes to the COAs and website information.

My guess is that the Mint doesn't want to admit the mistake and be faced with the potential of having to provide updated correct COAs for all the products (remember they did provide updated packaging for the Apollo/Kennedy Half set that incorrectly identifed Gilroy Roberts as the reverse designer instead of Frank Gasparro.)

If anyone else has a milligram scale and is willing to weigh their silver coins, then I'd appreciate confirmation of my weight numbers, I did calibrate the scale before weighing the coins, but still, you can't be sure unless someone else can repeat the results as well.

I guess we now wait until next year to see if the Mint fixes the wrong weights for the silver coins.

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The explanation and end to this is to be found in a new Coin World article.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...er-proof-set

No doubt those with a cynical and conspiratorial mind will not be satisfied.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The explanation and end to this is to be found in a new Coin World article.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...er-proof-set

No doubt those with a cynical and conspiratorial mind will not be satisfied.

The key point from the article is
Quote:
The silver content has not changed for any of the coins in the 2022-S Silver Proof set, despite the Mint now reporting the weight of the silver coins in troy ounces at the lower limit allowed in each coin's specification range.

Glad to see that my scale is still accurate

I guess I understand why the Mint wants to indicate the minimum precious metal content of the silver proof set coins (makes it consistent with the way they indicate the precious metal content for bullion coins), but it boggles my mind that they didn't let the coin collecting community know about the change when it was made

Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO bad communication from the US Mint regarding the grams to ounces discrepancies, advertising exact weight in grams but minimum planchet tolerance in ounces.
Edited by livingwater
07/03/2022 11:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, it appears that someone at the Mint made a mistake when they converted the silver coin weights from grams to troy ounces and then transposed the mistakes to the COAs and website information.

I tend to agree with this statement. a simple error and transitional error at the mint.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 2,330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: