Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Resubmit? Buffalo Nickel (1918 D)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
77 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  06:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tonyqt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1st coin is in a PCGS F15 CAC holder. 2nd coin (mine) is in a PCGS F12 holder. Do you think I would get an upgrade if I resubmitted it?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47378 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you re submit, are you going with PCGS or CAC?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73315 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 on yours does seem a bit miserly. Submitting for re-grade sounds like a good idea.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/17/2022 08:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's got a shot. I could see both sides of the argument for F12 or F15. Not sure if that's a well placed hit on the horn or tooling, likely a well placed hit. The obverse on the first example is a bit mushier than yours due to a later die state. Yours has sharper details. The peripheral devices though are weaker on yours. Date, LIBERTY, rim wear. Reverse is slightly stronger on yours. Surfaces look a bit more original on the first, though I'm not a fan of the light verdigris spots.

I don't think it would upgrade with a resub, but it's got a shot if you cracked it and sent it raw. Of course that comes with a risk.

If it were mine I'd send it to CAC. If they give it the green been, I think you'd have been luck with a resub and an upgrade, at least in my experience.

Great example of the 8/7 by the way!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a resubmission is worth a shot. Very nice example as well, you don't see too many of these that aren't acid dated.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1050 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice 18/7 D! I am currently searching for one of these in the wild
Pillar of the Community
United States
3715 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2022  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not crack it out for a resubmittal as it might come back F Details cleaned. Send it to CAC, but do not be surprised if it does not sticker because of the hairlines on reverse.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tonyqt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for opening an older post. After the coin CACed it bothered me as I felt this coin was under graded. I took the chance and cracked it out and sent it to NGC. It went from PCGS F12 CAC (green) to NGC VF25. Well worth the cost. Sorry for the bad picture in its new slab.
Edited by Tonyqt
11/24/2022 09:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47378 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO,NGC over grades a lot of the time. https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#/Buffalo/Grades
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, definitely a coin worth taking the chance on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the good outcome! The original F-12 definitely seemed a bit low.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome, congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73315 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, well deserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of funny. I took one look at it and thought to myself, solid F15, even VF20. Then I read the comments to see I already replied before you submitted this one, with a much more conservative grade . Guess I lack consistency!

I can see a technical VF20/25, but would net down a grade for the old cleaning. Just my [current] stance on it, as my apparent grading consistency changes. Ha! Net F15/VF20

A big congrats on the outcome, great example!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13319 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think yours is better than F12. I have it at VF20 with a shot at 25
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47378 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So PCGS and CAC got it wrong? What da....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 798Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: