Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2001 Journey $10 (Tough Prefixes: Show Yours)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 700Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  09:34 am Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started a thread on Variations in the World currency forum, & @NumisRob's recent post (Series E 5 & 10 notes) http://goccf.com/t/409230#3592196 reminded me of the many tough prefixes that can be collected from the 2001 Journey Series. It (& a garage sale) are what got me back into collecting. At the time, around 2003, I had no idea that the 2001 Tens (P-102a-e), were literally a collector's dream series. Why? Because the notes were being rampantly counterfeited & the BoC (along with their printers) were scrambling to add a security thread to sort out the problem. Many people noticed that the substrate (paper pulp) wore down easily & ink-jet printers doomed its longevity from the get-go. What made the series interesting to collect, however, wasn't its failures. For the first time, the series had the year of printing imprinted on the bottom reverse border & it rolled out with many change-overs, short prefixes & replacements. I won't be covering the replacements (unless they happened to have been integral to their roll out/manner in which they were issued).

So let's begin. The front of the note featured John A. MacDonald in a close up like we've never seen before. The only security feature was the gold maple leaves, the microprinting & florescent features. Peace Keeping & Remembrance are themes featured on the back. So, with little visible security features (other than the gold tinted leaves), most retailers couldn't simply eyeball the note & distinguish a legit from a fake (easily):

The first short prefix was the Knight-Thiessen FDY prefix & even though 2.4M were issued, these caught most collectors off guard so that high grade examples were tough to find:

The next note that caught collector's attention was the 2000 Knight-Thiessen FDZ replacement (600,000) & its FDZ Knight-Dodge change-over(400,000). A good many of these were caught so they were not quite as scarce in high grades as the FDY. (I bought the Knight-Dodge FDZ off a collector friend). Here's the tougher replacement:

Next up was the 2001 Knight-Dodge FEE year change-over which only had a tiny 480,000 print run. Below it is a close up of the year printed imprint:

The next tough change-over was the 2003 Jenkins-Dodge BEK. By the time this note came out, plans for the security strip (2005 Journey) were well under way, so it is believed that not all of the 1.4M notes were released. Both the replacement & the regular note were very tough to acquire:

The next change-over was the 2003 & 2004 BER. By this time, I was in the hunt & searching like a madman for either a 2003 & 2004. I will never forget finding an AU+ 2004 but it had "Where's Willy" stamped on it & I threw it back into the wild in disgust. I regretted that since I never found another one. But what became even more surprising, was that nobody was finding any 2003 BER! So that became the big buzz (& search):

By 2004, the $20 arrived with the security strip & we knew it wouldn't be long before the 2005 revised $10 would follow. So what happened to the 2003 BEL & BEP? A few BEP were found out west but the BEL remained scarce & elusive right up till the last short 2004BET prefix (920,000).

Here's a BEP I bought from a collector from Edmonton:

and here's a worn out BEL I traded with another collector:

I traded a pretty old/scarce note for this VG-F example only because it was a number we had not seen/recorded on the serial number data base (as we were tracking the number ranges). It is very scarce & I will be selling it soon (along with some other rare Journey notes).

Please share some of your Original 2001 Journey $10 or $5 (I will post more on the FIVES tomorrow).

So please stay tuned!
Edited by walk2dwater
03/01/2022 09:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I was hoping a few collectors out there would share some of their notes. I'm guessing "we're shy..." as momma used to say.

Anyway, moving right along, now we'll look at the original Journey FIVES (BC-62 or P-101) which rolled out in 2002. These had a much more staid release than their TEN DOLLAR counterparts. The notes were similar in design, with the gold leaves on the front, lots of microprinting & security features that showed up in UV light. Wilfid Laurier was featured on the front (+ parliament building) and a very popular outdoor hockey scene on the reverse:

The notes were either printed by the BABN (British American Bank Note designated by the "A" prefix) such as the ANV prefix above or the CBN co (Canadian Bank Note Co with the "H" prefixes):

-which I posted here on CCF a few years back.

Since no short prefixes or tough change-overs were noticed a lot of us reverted to tucking away a special serial number here & there.

However, finally we did discover "quite late in the day" that the BABN would no longer print the fives & so that the AOF prefix was short (3.8M run). This fact caught most of us by surprise (except your's truly who managed to snag a couple):

In 2003 the BoC Sr Deputy Governor changed & Jenkins-Dodge was the new combo with the HNN prefix. However, the change-over was nearly in the middle so that both prefixes were plentiful.

In 2004, when the new $20 appeared & the rampant counterfeiting of the $10 necessitated a design change, it became clear that the original $5 would be phased out too. We were all on the look out for something tough (or collectible). What happened was similar to what occurred with the shortage of 2003 BER TENS, we began to see 2005 HOH $5 but no (or very few) 2004 HOH.

Although the BoC released numbers to indicate that 5.970,000 2004 HOH prefixes were printed, most were likely returned/destroyed since collectors reported very few on the SNDB (Serial Number Data Base) hosted by the CPMF (Canadian Paper Money Forum). The highest 2004 HOH reported was HOH0187763 (& I believe my note was from a large run of the higher range). It is unlikely that all 2005 HOH were released too since mostly ranges were discovered. We often saw the replacement version along with runs so that the 2005 HOH can be tough too. However, their scarcity was eclipsed by the 2004 HOH super short run (not as advertised, much like the 2003 BER $10).

The 2005 rolled out in regular predictable fashion so there were no further surprises other than the fact that we saw new Single Note Replacements (SNR's) with the 2004 HNN change-overs, & the last 2 prefixes HOZ & HPA. These became quite sought after.

One other surprise was to see the AOF/HPA prefixes to be continued (& the BABN producing FIVES again) with the new upgraded 2006 Series (BC-67 or P-101A). I guess it should not have been overly surprising since the last time the BoC had a design modification (1954 Devil's Face & Modified series) they too had design change-over prefixes (which became very scarce, unlike the Journey change-over prefixes).
Edited by walk2dwater
03/04/2022 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6013 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vert interesting read I will have to go through my bills and see which ones I have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6013 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2022  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I checked and I don't have any of the above notes. Will have to keep looking.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I checked and I don't have any of the above notes. Will have to keep looking.

-You may want to check out some of the notes I've listed on eBay since they attract the budget-minded crowd & typically bid up by increments of $0.50 or less. I've seen a lot of BIN inventory which will be priced much higher than what these will go for. The upgraded Journey notes have watermarks which the Bank of Canada never included in any note since 1882 DOC-10 notes! (I just read that in my Charlton guide).

Here's another excerpt:
"The early Journey $5 and $10 notes were initially printed on 100% cotton banknote paper, but they did not hold up well in circulation. In 2003 the paper composition reverted to 75% cotton and 25% kraft fibres, in an effort to improve durability" (CGPM 31st Ed, p. 322)

These notes were what brought me back into collecting. I had a huge garage sale & saw many notes that were worn down dirty rags & in very poor condition. My first thought was that I had to find/keep some that were in UNC & that became a challenge in itself. [People who try to collect the $10 denomination know that many banks don't order them & it took a lot to convince my branch to help me out]. This was in 2003 (so the 2000/2001 notes were already out for 2 years/impossible to get) so I ended up buying most of the original Journey $5 & $10 at inflated prices. Charlton never got the BV right (IMO) & the SCWPM was even worse. It's a terrific opportunity for collectors, however, since most world (US) collectors go by the book & won't bid high thinking they're quite common (which they are- but not in high grade). The tough prefixes are very tough.

Thanks for the compliments & good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lasting Impression Sets:
Before I move onto the revised upgraded Journey series, I'd like to mention a couple things to remember re: the Original 2001 Series. Two Lasting Impressions sets were created with
the same prefix & serial for the FIVES or for the TENS. 50,000 sets were sold through coin dealers. One 1989 Birds series $10 note was paired up with a BEH Journey note. A Birds ANU prefix would match a $5 ANU Journey note. They became a bit of a hard sell.

Missing Circles:
Another aspect of Journey TENS with prefixes FEB to FEN were the "Missing Circle" notes. A number of collectors sought these where the register was a bit off and the orange concentric circles had a missing inner-circle. Some notes had nearly 2 missing circles & the FEN missing circle was the most scarce.

And, while the composition of the paper was changed, I found that the notes still did not hold up very well to circulation compared to previous series. QC officials from the BoC must have concurred as new lacquers were used on the early upgraded 2006 series.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
972 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for sharing this you've done a great job.
It seems like yesterday when we were searching for these prefixes and I was fortunate enough to catch some of them.

Tens: 2001 Issue
2 X FDY K/T 2000 Short run.
2 X FDZ K/T 2000 Replacement.
1 X FEN K/D 2002 Short run.
1 X BEP J/D 2003 Not all released.
2 X BES J/D 2004

Fives: 2002 Issue
3 X ANV K/D 2001 First circulation issue.
1 X AOF K/D 2001 Last 2001 printing short run.
5 X HNN J/D 2004 Date change over.
1 X HOH J/D 2004 Date change over.
1 X HOH J/D 2005 Date change over and replacement.
1 X HPA J/D 2005 Last 2002 issue prefix.

I certainly missed a few of the tougher one but I got the ones I have for face value.
It's not likely but just let me know if you would like a picture of any.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I certainly missed a few of the tougher one but I got the ones I have for face value.
It's not likely but just let me know if you would like a picture of any.

-If you got any of these for FV, that is great Bill. You are welcome to share any pictures of the notes you have or would like to share.

I did not mention the FEN prefix so that would be a great note to share. The BES prefix was not very difficult (I saw enough circulated examples, though not in UNC unless on eBay). The tough ones were BET (the last short prefix- about a million), if I recall correctly.

Another phenomenon which became a first was that with some of these scarce prefixes- the NON-REPLACEMENT (or regular issue) became the scarce note. For example, the 2003 Jenkins Dodge BEK had 2 replacement ranges (which were scarce) but found more often than regular run notes. After some time, collectors/Charlton realized that regular 2003 change-over BEK notes issued (not within the replacement ranges) were actually scarcer than either of the replacements.
Edited by walk2dwater
03/05/2022 8:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2022  10:07 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BC-68 or P-102A:

I was pretty surprised when I opened my first copy of the Standard Catalogue of World Paper Money (SCWPM) to see that they only added an A to P-102 (original Journey) P code since the modified note was like a new beast altogether (unlike the Devil's Face or other slight modified notes we've seen). I expected a completely different code & better description of the new revamped security series.

The BoC ordered the security stripped/watermarked banknote paper from Spexel, Germany. No more gold leaves but rather additional security checks, such as a see-through register of a sideways "10" & PM watermark. In 2004, BAI printed notes with the B prefix (BEU to BEY) & CBN printed the F prefixes (FEP to FEV). The Jenkins-Dodge signature was used & the first 2005 year change-over happened with the BEY so that 2004 BEY were only 2.5M.

The big surprise was that the FEV was a short (670,000) prefix that functioned only as a replacement. Although, 4.3M were reported issued, collectors only spotted minor runs of notes below the the 0.67M threshold:

There were no further surprises until 2007. The BAI provided additional BTA-BTF series after the 2005 BEY & BEZ. No notes were printed in 2006 so we had to wait until the following year for the tough 2007 BTF change-over (940,000). I didn't see any out in Ontario so I bought a few from a collector friend out west (& listed one that ends tonight Mar 6th). By this time, it appeared official, that CBN were out of the picture when it came to producing any more $10 prefixes (the FEV being the last). BAI continued with BTG-BTU (120,000,000).

Word got out that the BTV prefix also appeared but that it would be one of the shortest prefixes seen in some years (189,998). This is because the BTV prefix first appeared in other bundles as an INSERT replacement. In fact, three scarce versions were issued: a Sheet Replacement, a Single Note Replacement or SNR & regular issued. Since all the brick searchers were easily plucking out the replacements in early BTG-BTU bundles, the inserts were more common the the regular issued BTV below:

The Journey Tens had one other signature combination, Jenkins-Carney, and were printed up to 2009. The last last year change-over was Jenkins-Carney BFH (3.7M) but its pretty easy to source. The series also had a large number of Insert replacements (some very scarce like the low # FEP first prefix) & an even larger number of SNR (the most sought after were the BEU ; BEZ & the BTZ prefixes).

Like the Original Journey series which were actively destroyed, both the $5 & the $10 notes were the last paper & were promptly returned to BoC by bank employees as soon as the polymer arrived.
Edited by walk2dwater
03/06/2022 10:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2006 Journey $5

As stated in my March 4th post on the Original 2002 Journey $5, "the AOF/HPA prefixes to be continued (& the BABN producing FIVES again) with the new upgraded 2006 Series (BC-67 or P-101A)." The first AOF prefix had a large 6M run so it wasn't too difficult to source. I must admit that I sort of tuned out to collecting when the new upgraded Journey series arrived. One of the reasons was I was focussed on paying down my mortgage & there were no surprises, so I stopped trying to source notes. However, a friend did trade this tough APF insert replacement for a note I caught (& I am now selling):

Only 40,000 of these replacements were released but over 50 sheet replacements & over 200 SNR (Single Note Replacements) were documented by Charlton.

The next big fish or scarce short prefix every collector was on the look-out for was the short Jenkins-Dodge APM prefix (449,000):

In 2008, we saw the Jenkins-Carney signature appear on the APN note. A 2009 year change-over occurred for the 2008 AAD note (2.4M) but again this note was still pretty easy to source. What caught a lot of collectors by surprise was to see the CBN Co back in the business of printing FIVES with the HPA (2.4M) prefix being revived (now with the upgrade security strip).

By the end of 2010, the talk of a new polymer series was all the buzz & we knew that the Journey $5 was going to be phased out. Word got out that the 2010 Jenkins-Carney $5 with the HAE prefix would end in the 9M range. Everybody was on the look out for the 2011 Macklem-Carney HAE(424,000) but I never acquired one. In fact, most collectors could only buy one from Quebecois collectors. I tried, in vain, to strike a deal.

It turned out that all 2011 HAF; HAG; HAH; HAJ; HAK & HAL would be tough prefixes to source. There were HAF & HAG bricks offered on eBay & we saw a few HAK-HAJ up for sale.

I rarely saw the HAE, HAK or the HAL went up for auction/sale. The 2011 HAE $5 has a BV of $500 in Gem Unc but I have rarely seen it listed for Book Value. IMO: the asking price for a 2011 HAE has become more speculative than realistic. It certainly has become the star attraction for the 2006 Journey $5 but the HAH & HAL are definite dark horses & could be just as scarce.
Edited by walk2dwater
03/11/2022 11:09 am
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wak2dWater,

I found some time to share. CPMS fourm was certainly a lot of fun back in day. I found a few for you and will take a look for more, if I have them.

AOF was okay for me to as I managed to get some birthday notes.
AOF 505200 - 5052007

For HOH mine are 2005 and fall in Replacement Ranges.

For APF I have the 2.00 - 2.04 Range Replacement Note
I even managed to find 2 so I will consider myself lucky.

Dredge
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1686 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CPMS fourm was certainly a lot of fun back in day.

- yes, it used to be active & had interesting (& colourful) input by its users before it shut down in 2018.

Quote:
AOF was okay for me to as I managed to get some birthday notes.
AOF 505200 - 5052007

-congrats & cool numbers!

Quote:
I even managed to find 2 so I will consider myself lucky.

Very nice notes: thanks for sharing Dredge!
Edited by walk2dwater
05/16/2022 8:45 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: