Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess The Price - Season 80 - Winner: Bump111!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 502 / Views: 16,526Next Topic
Page: of 34
Pillar of the Community
United States
2361 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good job, @RK. This is an item that I've wanted to acquire for a couple of years since I saw @Commem's writeup about it. Here is some background on this piece for those interested:

In May 1916, the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association (SMCMA) commissioned John de la Mothe Gutzon Borglum to carve a monument on one face of Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, Georgia. To help raise money for the continuing work on Stone Mountain, Borglum designed a bronze medal based on his models for the Memorial. Those who purchased the medal were allowed to enroll in the Stone Mountain Children's Founders Roll, open to those aged eighteen and under who contributed one dollar to the building of the monument. The medals came in an official holder and were issued in 1924.

Edit: the holder shown below is (I believe) for the Lukeman Medal issued a year or two later.

The Stone Mountain Commemorative Half Dollar was based on these same models and is similar. One difference between the Half Dollar and the Medal is the absence of Confederate President Jefferson Davis, who was deemed an inappropriate subject for Federal coinage.

The Stone Mountain executive committee and Borglum were often at odds regarding the extent of his involvement in the hands-on work. Borglum had a reputation for being difficult to work with. Relations between the executive committee and Borglum dissolved and Borglum's contract was cancelled. Following the announcement of his dismissal, Borglum drove to his studio, destroyed his models, and left the state. The Committee commissioned Virginia's Augustus Lukeman to continue work on the Monument and Borglum's initial work was blasted from the face of the mountain in 1927.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
05/25/2022 5:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting backstory! Thank you for sharing!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7928 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to RK55 for the round win. And whoo-hoo I finally score some points.

Really appreciate the background Bump111 - thanks for sharing the story.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
114900 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Season 80 - Round 8

Guessing Deadline:

3 PM EDT (Forum Time) on Wednesday, 1 June 2022

Coin Purchased By:

GMS5 in October 2018

2018 Canada 20 Dollars Captain Canuck

Pillar of the Community
United States
979 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$120
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3989 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$79.00
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$100
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Pillar of the Community
United States
8971 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

$84.00
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennyweight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

$68.00
Pillar of the Community
United States
2140 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

$125.00
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6032 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$92
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$49.00
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$ 88.00
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

$135.00
Pillar of the Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$130
Page: of 34 Previous TopicReplies: 502 / Views: 16,526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: