Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1820 Capped Bust Dime "Statesof" Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 862Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
185 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2022  2:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few months ago, I picked up an 1820 Capped Bust Dime for around $20. I already had both the large and small date 1820 dimes, so I only needed the "statesof" variety to complete my 1820 set. Lo and behold, I find this dime just waiting to slot right into my book.

The first indication was the die state on the obverse at 9 o'clock. I think that is called a die bulge (correct me if I'm wrong), and it is characteristic of the 1820 "statesof" variety - specifically lower grade coins. Second, the top of the 1 in 10 C. is flat in this variety, and the only other 1820 dime that has a flat top 1 is the 1820 JR-8. Finally, as you can faintly make out under the scope, the final s in states is right next to the o in of.

I'm curious to hear if any of you have a "statesof" variety in your collection (or any other neat bust dime/quarter/half dollar varieties). If so, I'd love to see some pictures.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work with the diagnostics! Although I would have a hard time myself buying a coin for the variety, when I can't even see the variety. Hopefully GERMANICVS will stop by and post some of his capped bust coins. He had a post where he showed his bust dime varieties a couple weeks ago.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always nice to find these hidden gems out there and fill those holes.
France
9 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add globetrotter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1820 variant, submitted in numista
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1706 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two 1814 JR-5's, STATESOF variety.

I think this variety shares the same reverse as 1820 STATESOF.

Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im working up a set of capped bust half dimes as we speak. I took pictures of each of the statesofamerica dimes from the set.

the reverse die is the same die on both coins according to the davis, logan, lovejoy, mccloskey and subjack book.

coinenthusiast - you are correct that the thing at 9:00 on the obverse is a die bulge.

i like large cents. I currently have >225 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 862Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: