Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales, But Are There Some Fakes?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 987Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a current thread in the Classic US coins section on weights for circulated Morgan dollars. Seems to validate the weight of the low grade 8 reales. Interesting idea, when I return from my current trip out of state, I will drag out a box of portraits and weigh them all and report back my findings.

http://goccf.com/t/420083r
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1700 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding weight: Even for Mo-mint pieces where weight as made was typically very close to standard ("27.07g"), a coin legitimately worn down to a G-4 grade or close could (really should) absolutely be down to 26.2g weight.

Back in 2011 when silver boomed near $50, I handled a decent amount of worn Barber halves and weighed a lot of them for study purposes. The heavily worn AG (maybe even "Fair-2") types were down as low as 11.4g from the as-made 12.5g!!

-----

Diameter within the pillar and portrait 8R series is ALL over the place depending on date range and which mint. Impossible to summarize in a few words.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lambertiana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny you should mention circulated halves. Today I weighed a 1917 half in AG/G condition (depending on whose grading guide I use, it wobbles between AG and G), and it is 11.87g, compared to the original weight of 12.5g.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 987Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: