Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 7/8TF Without Long Nock?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2022  09:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Below is a picture of an 1878 Morgan detailing the tail feathers (cropped from a web photo.) I haven't seen any 7/8 tailfeather varieties without the long nock. This coin is pretty crusty and I'm trying to convince myself that this is just residue, but wanted professional opinions before I dismiss it. Thanks.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a 7/8TF without the long nock. You should ignore the phantom tail feather detail and attribute as a B2 reverse.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
04/06/2022 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. I appreciate the insight.

I can't attribute the coin very easily from the photos and am just curious enough to put in a lowball bid for it. If it cleans up well enough with acetone, I'll give it a shot then.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Link to auction?
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not positive but I think it may be the 140/116 obverse die.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auction ends tonight. If it goes for reasonable money, I may try to grab it. I want to get a good look...

Too much circulation, toning and gunk. It's not a pretty coin. Plus, the angled pics aren't helping matters.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly why I'm not sure
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this '78. Paid a little more than I expected ($48) but my curiosity got the better of me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to good images...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still no images to share yet, but a good acetone soak revealed what was expected. These "extra tail feathers" were 140 years of gunk that came off with a little gentle prodding. The good news is the coin is in much better condition than the photos suggested. A little light toning and minimal wear.
Valued Member
Indonesia
70 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I see two extra tail feathers. Am I right Mr. Bump111?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see two extra tail feathers. Am I right Mr. Bump111?

That's sure what I thought - wishful thinking, I'm afraid. I had never heard of a 7/8 TF Morgan without the long arrow nock and thought I may have an exciting new discovery. The only thing I discovered is that the two extra "tail feathers" were only 100 years of gunk. They came off right away with a good acetone soak. I actually had this coin under the stereoscope again last night and am still trying to find something interesting. There are a couple of odd serifs on some of the letters, but otherwise this is just your pedestrian 1878 7TF short nock Morgan.

Thanks for checking it out!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: