Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do With These Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 417Next Topic  
Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  07:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petra to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
I bought this old coffee table 3 generation coin collection
But I found a lot of the coins painted with varnish
Any ideas how to clean the coins without make any damage
Thx

Pillar of the Community
United States
8520 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's always the option of using a solvent (with proper precautions of course). Perhaps test a few different solvents on the least desirable coins. Or, just enjoy the table as it is. Do you see anything particularly interesting in the collection?
Australia
3 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for replying
I'm still working in the coins over 300 coins to find the date and value
I'll post any thing I find interesting
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45124 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. 100% pure acetone, not standard nail polish remover. Do a sample soak on one or two coins.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1631 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, there might be a potentially valuable coin or two in there... Silver, gold even, or just a rare date could be possible. Looks like some tokens in there also...
And then, glad you can ask us!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19686 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coins have only low individual value, try a soak in kerosene or methylated spirits first, because those solvents are easier to obtain, more often more ready at hand, cheaper to buy and vapors less toxic,
then try acetone.
For coins of higher individual value, use acetone only.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3952 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2022  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing what some people do with coins. I would say most are common - just leave them intact and focus more on that beautiful chez lounge you have!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 417Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: