Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Determining Threepence Error Types.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 220Next Topic  
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  02:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, still very green around the ears, like a lot of my collection..
Firstly, I have a few 1961 3p with very weak beads graduating to no beads around the circumference. I've looked in Renniks Australian Pre-Decimal & Decimal Coin Errors, but I am unclear if it is caused by Struck Outside Collar, Struck Through, or Weak Strike....or indeed, none of the above!. Your wealth of wisdom would be appreciated.

Secondly, I come across coins where the rim connects to the beads, then the rim seems to split into two with a gutter in between. Is this just a minor off centre strike of insignificance, or is it an error with some spectacular name?!!
Again, your knowledge is welcome.

Cheers ttkoo

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Thanks John1
Learn More...
Australia
14256 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Firstly, I have a few 1961 3p with very weak beads graduating to no beads around the circumference. I've looked in Renniks Australian Pre-Decimal & Decimal Coin Errors, but I am unclear if it is caused by Struck Outside Collar, Struck Through, or Weak Strike....or indeed, none of the above!. Your wealth of wisdom would be appreciated.

I'm far from an errors and varieties expert, but I'm not too sure about this one. My instinct is saying "weak strike" or maybe "worn dies", but I'm concerned about the very weak strike on the rim and portrait, compared to the very strong strike on the lettering. My second instinct is "Counterfeit"; a very distinctive characteristic of certain types of fake coins is the odd combinations of "weak strike" and "strong strike" on the same coin.

Quote:
Secondly, I come across coins where the rim connects to the beads, then the rim seems to split into two with a gutter in between. Is this just a minor off centre strike of insignificance, or is it an error with some spectacular name?!!
Again, your knowledge is welcome.

Again, I am torn - this is either a very slight die misalignment, as you suggest - or post-mint damage, where two threepences have been squeezed together and the rim of another coin has squashed down the inner rim of this coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm far from an errors and varieties expert, but I'm not too sure about this one. My instinct is saying "weak strike" or maybe "worn dies", but I'm concerned about the very weak strike on the rim and portrait, compared to the very strong strike on the lettering. My second instinct is "Counterfeit"; a very distinctive characteristic of certain types of fake coins is the odd combinations of "weak strike" and "strong strike" on the same coin.

I hadn't even considered conterfeit...food for thought. Yes the weak portrait and especially the nose makes it a puzzle. Another coin of the same ilk has the same weak rim but a slightly stronger portrait. Further consideration required.

Quote:
Again, I am torn - this is either a very slight die misalignment, as you suggest - or post-mint damage, where two threepences have been squeezed together and the rim of another coin has squashed down the inner rim of this coin.

Hadn't thought of the PMD however I don't see any evidence of other associated damage to the beads. Also this splitting of the rim seems fairly common, at least through the coins my father collected over the years. I'm thinking it's the misalignment. As always open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback, Sap

Pillar of the Community
Australia
800 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not counterfeit. It will never be worth much over bullion (so not a modern fake) and faking threepences in the early 60s would hardly be worth the time to make a pass. If they were faking coins then it would have been florins.
Looks more like the mint was busy churning out quantity and not quality and I have thousands of threepences from that era with similar minting issues. Now finding them with sharp strikes, well centred and worth grading is hard (even from mint rolls).
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks nealeffendi, those are my thoughts too regarding a fake.......somebody stop me!...if I get to thousands of threepences!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1992 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Filled die most likely - as nealeffendi says these coins were getting churned out and it's very hard to find a properly struck up threepence from that era.
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that Mr T, and thanks to everyone for your replies. Advice much appreciated.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: