Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911-S Lincoln Cent, You Vs PCGS

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 942Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i had it at MS65RB and still think its RB. whomever graded this didnt look close enough at the color or didnt think there was more than 5% red. it might be borderline but it should have received the designation.

That's more than 5% red for sure. it seems I read it's now 85% to 15% percent red. Those numbers seem to stick in my head. Either way it's an awesome coin. Congrats on that one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KYCooperCoins. Look from my prospective I tell you that the RD for a bronze coins it is an Nobel Price. Bronze it is not red if do not oxide, but those grader and in special PCGS are complete out of any mind. Your coin is mint and have some age patina of the bronze. So why RD, RB or BR? The bronze will be never BR will be RB in some specific circumstances which in general do not apply to coins (more to artifacts)

PS: I will call them to ask if they know the differences between Brass and Bronze LOL!
Edited by silviosi
05/11/2022 4:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8777 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Siviosi - 1911-S Cents have the following composition:

95% Copper
5% Tin and Zinc

The 1944 Cents were a composition of reclaimed bronze shell casings from World War II. Most modern bronze is 88% copper and 12% tin. Bronze may also contain manganese, aluminum, nickel, phosphorus, silicon, arsenic, or zinc.

The 1856-1858 Flying Eagle and Indian Head cents of 1859-1864 Were considered bronze as their composition is 88% Copper and 12% tin.

The TPG's don't designate the Flying Eagle or CN (copper - nickle) Bronze coins with a color designation of BN RB or RD, All the rest of the small cents and large cents are labeled as such, even the newest zinc cents coated with a copper shell.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/11/2022 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@WestCoin: you are wright of the composition of the war cent. I know the TPG give those denominations. My point was just to tell those denominations are choice by gradeer and really do not reflect the metallurgical reality. Could be change?!!? we will see and it is a long way to go.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17870 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin either way, I love it!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say, in no way does the reverse of this coin have the blue color of the trueviews and matches the obverse in color...not sure why they had those photo results to be honest.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right. Some times theirs photos are out of the reality. Your last photos show me clear a non 65 and a bronze coin which can have blue reflections. Somebody here say they will not re-grad. Me personal I doubt this allegation.
Edited by silviosi
05/13/2022 7:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question least often asked at the monthly PCGS Trueview committee meeting - "Why don't we show the way the coin actually looks?"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinsfrog: The answer it is because the high management do not want to sped money for the photos technician's to adapt Trueview to average web.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a TPG would adopt Nutilt I'd move to their services permanently. No better way to capture a coin than their method.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17870 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  03:21 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will say, in no way does the reverse of this coin have the blue color of the trueviews and matches the obverse in color...not sure why they had those photo results to be honest.

Those pictures look like a completely different coin! The trueview completely hid the obverse weakness and a lot of device hits on the reverse. There are quite a few ticks that are transparent in the PCGS picture!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8777 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those pictures look like a completely different coin!

It is the blue colored coin is a 1921-S while the OP coin is an 1911-S. I think it was posted as an example to color only.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, didn't realize I posted the in hand pics in the wrong thread
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The in hand pics of the 11-s are in this thread, the 21-s photos belonged in the other thread I had going.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! Congrats on the acquisition.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 942Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: