Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Id'ing 1 Cash Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2652 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  2:03 pm Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
from numista info I believe it is 1 cash from around 1851?

could really use a proper ID (mint location etc)

thanks in advance

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a modern replica of a 1 Cash from Wen Zong, Boo-Chiowan, 1851-1861. Could still be genuine, but the raised dots in the fields and the off center reverse lead me to believe it's a fake.
Learn More...
United States
23711 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
raised dots in the fields and the off center reverse lead me to believe it's a fake.

I agree.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boo, Tong & Bao don't look authentic.

I guess I could have said the characters do not match a genuine coin, so I doubt if it could be attributed to a Hartill number.
Edited by Albert
05/06/2022 2:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2652 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a valuable enough coin that it would be faked?
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about posting if your coin is brass, bronze, copper or iron with the size and weight?
There are some coins that are worth money and a lot that are not worth much.
Valued Member
Hong Kong
141 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wandering Circle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"They cannot conquer forever!" - Frodo Baggins
Learn More...
Australia
14363 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this a valuable enough coin that it would be faked?

Not really valuable, no. While there may be some scarce varieties, genuine Xian Feng Revenue Mint cash coins can be bought for a dollar or two - which is about the same price these fakes typically sell for.

The Feng Shui movement makes and sells replicas of even the most common cash coins. That's because they need "full sets" - one of each Qing Dynasty emperor - to make their magic charms, and because they believe that genuine old coins are actually less effective than modern replicas at deflecting evil spirits, because the old coins might already have absorbed their full quota of spirits over the centuries and would need ritual "cleansing" before use. Apparently, the evil spirits themselves can't tell the difference betweeen fake and real.

The "field full of dots" seen on both sides of his coin is very typical of "Feng Shui" machine-struck replicas of cast cash coins. The dots are supposed to simulate the appearance of the sandy background of genuine cast coins.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: