Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picked Up A Few Really Neat Lots At Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  12:00 am Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will tease now, but post later, after they arrive. I bid on a few lots at the Syd Martin Library Auction sale by Kolbe & Fanning. Prices were really strong for the most part and one item I wanted to win, I was shut out not due to bidding pricing, but the internet glitched out and I was disconnected until the last minute and was too late to get my bid in, I had my back up phone app open but it was on the charging pad in the kitchen while I was on the other side of the house. DOH!

The few lots I did win are pretty neat and I will share some of them with you all as soon as they arrive. K&F always ship my winning lots before I even pay or get the invoice, so it shouldn't be too much longer. and no... None of my winning lots are lots found in the press release. I'm not that well off.

Here is the Press Release on the Sale Results:

On Saturday, Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers sold at auction the outstanding numismatic library formed by ANS President Syd Martin in what proved to be an exciting and memorable event. Prices across the board were generally very strong, and a number of record prices were realized for individual items. Some particularly notable results include the following (prices here quoted do not include the 20% premium):

Lot 64: Walter Breen's personal, annotated copy of his 1988 Complete Encyclopedia, estimated at $5,000, opened to bidders watching the live online sale for an amazing $30,000, before a few additional bids drove the price up to $37,500 hammer
https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/...encyclopedia

Lot 270: Breen's extraordinarily annotated copy of Miller & Ryder on the state copper coinages, described as one of the true gems of the Syd Martin Library, sold for $27,500
https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/...miller-ryder

Lot 138: continuing the interest in Breen-annotated volumes, the copy of Crosby's Early Coins of America annotated by him had three bidders active above the $10,000 mark before closing at $14,000
https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/...tated-crosby

Lot 264: an exquisitely bound complete set of Mehl's Numismatic Monthly was the subject of a fierce bidding war between two determined collectors before closing at $14,000
https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/...atic-monthly

Lot 131: another beautifully bound set, this time of The Colonial Newsletter, also received heavy bidding and brought $10,000
https://bid.numislit.com/lots/view/...l-newsletter

Lot 168: Charles Bushnell's copy of George Ewing's 1724 Defence of the Conduct of the People of Ireland, one of the most important and rarest of the attacks on the William Wood coinage, sold for $10,000
https://bid.numislit.com/auctions/1...p_to_lot=168

More than ten lots closed at $10,000 or higher, with enormous interest shown in the Breen material, rare publications on colonial coins, exceptional bindings, and archival materials. Many items estimated in the hundreds brought prices in the thousands, and the sell rate was well over 90%. It was a truly memorable occasion, and a testimony to the care with which Syd Martin had developed his library over the years. He cared deeply for his books, and it was gratifying to see that this respect was shared by many others.

We want to thank everyone who participated in the sale and who helped make it happen. A full prices realized list will be posted to the Kolbe & Fanning website at numislit.com. Our next sale is tentatively scheduled for August—more on that later!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
764 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't even imagine how much it all cost. I hope later you will publish some of your purchases and some pages here (it is very interesting what is written there).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68842 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting read, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is David Fanning showing the Breen annotated encyclopedia (the big lot of the day) very neat to see some of it. What a resource this would be.

nvAtEaWPQ_E

There are a few more videos of some of the better lots from the sale in a playlist you can find on their main video page here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...lz5-WsICKagv

I remember seeing Walter walking around the ANA show with this very book in his canvas bag, he took it out to use often, he was a very unforgettable looking person, wild hair and beard, wearing sandals, he definitely stood out in a crowd. His personal grooming was not something he thought about much, and I'll just leave it at that.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2˘ variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
05/09/2022 5:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my lots are on their way in four separate boxes, and should arrive latter this week, knock on wood.

In the meantime some more news on the Annotated Breen items from this sale. They were purchased by an old friend of mine (a fellow YN back in the early 80's), Dwight N. Manley. Here is the press release on his purchases and subsequent donation of said items:

Quote:
Prominent collector and benefactor Dwight N. Manley of Brea, California has donated to the American Numismatic Association more than 60 books, auction catalogs, and photographs he recently acquired at auction from the Sydney F. Martin (1945-2021) Numismatic Library Collection. All the items were previously owned or annotated by noted numismatic researcher and author Walter Breen (1928-1993) and many have his handwritten notes.

Among the highlights of the donation are two annotated drafts of Breen's massive 1987 masterpiece, Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins, with thousands of handwritten notes made as he typically did in different color inks. The combined drafts total over 3,000 pages and were described by auction house Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers as "an exceptionally important part of the Breen archives."

Another annotated book is Breen's personal copy of the 1981 reference guide he co-authored with former ANA President Anthony Swiatek, The Encyclopedia of United States Silver & Gold Commemorative Coins, 1982-1954.

There are 29 auction catalogs each with Breen's handwritten notes. The sales dates range from a Stack's auction in 1951 to the Rarcoa offering of the Kaufman Collection in 1978.

The donation also includes several letters Breen wrote and 19 photographic plates depicting colonial-era state and other pre-federal coins with his handwritten notes on rarity. Among the plates are black and white prints depicting obverses and reverses of 1785 Connecticut coppers. These photos were produced by Al Hoch in the late 1960s and are the coins extensively cited in Breen's famous 1975 Early American Coppers organization sale catalog of Connecticut coppers.

"Walter Breen had a troubled personal life, but he was one of the top numismatic researchers of his era. These important documents can help current and future researchers provide useful information for our hobby," said Manley.

In 2003, the ANA Library at ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado was named in honor of Manley when he gratefully donated $250,000 to the Association. That donation was a "thank you" for the $400 scholarship he received as a teenager in 1980 to attend an ANA Summer Seminar session.

In 2007, Manley donated an original edition of the world's first illustrated numismatic book, Illustrium Imagines, published in 1517.

Edited by westcoin
05/16/2022 3:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So my lots are on their way in four separate boxes, and should arrive latter this week, knock on wood.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope the truck carrying your items doesn't careen off the Interstate and roll--driver unhurt, of course.
Edited by ijn1944
05/16/2022 4:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4 out of 4 boxes have arrived, one was split open, but due to my great USPS carrier, (I take good care of him) he was able to save everything inside and not a single item was damaged (due to the Fanning's excellent packing job also, the failure was the box itself). Here is a teaser photo the measuring tape is set at 2 feet, so you are seeing just under 4 linear feet of books, that is from the 3 boxes delivered a little bit ago.

The first box was delivered 2 days ago and contains no books, but some really neat items I will share later. More to come...

Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good!

Glad to hear everything arrived in great condition despite the catastrophic box failure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, my last huge order from Kolbe & Fanning, I had one box go missing out of four, each box was around 35 pounds, of course it was the box with all the expensive and rare items in it. After a month of waiting, Maria finally got a reply from the postmaster here in Texas that runs the sorting center, they found only a partial label the rest was destroyed by one of the machines. I kind of doubt that, as the boxes were packed with an almost complete set of Goldberg Auction catalogs, and while all the other boxes arrived fine I'm guessing it was possibly ripped, but doubtful everything in it was ripped apart. At least it was insured and we all got our money back. The missing box had all the tough and expensive early copper sale catalogs in it, like Dan Holmes sales, Missouri Cabinet of Half Cents, etc. The Dan Holmes 4 part set now sells for $125.00+ alone and the Missouri Cabinet catalog brings $50 to $100 when they pop up for sale

I'll begin the sorting and entries into my database on the recent arrivals over the next couple of days, then show you all what is in those piles of books, and the other box I mentioned.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised here is the list of the books in the boxes from the Syd Martin sale I won last month. This is all from a single lot, I did win other items which I may share later as well.

Feel free to make any reasonable offer on any books you may want or need for your own library, I have many already so about half of these are duplicates. Some real gems in here and some uncommon titles are represented as well.

An interesting side note:
About 1/2 or more of these books are from Walter Breen's library, as Syd Martin purchased much of Walter's library after he went to prison, through Bruce Vogel, some have personalized letters to Walter from the publishers or authors, others have Bruce's handwritten note inside stating "Once belonged to Walter Breen."

Edited by westcoin
06/25/2022 1:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9004 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: