Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1908-D Barber Quarter For Grading And Comments

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,196Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12211 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh my. your new photos show a coin that the obverse was cleaned. there is no way those hairlines occurred at the mint or a bag. have to change my grade to UNC details. I would not crack this one out of its cage. I cant see how they didnt pick up on this.

just goes to show you how lighting and shadowing from it can alter the look of a coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You said it, obviously cleaned. Terrible call.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch. I agree, the new photos show a cleaned coin that is NOT market acceptable today.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tintin_54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with the fact that the coin shows evidence of an old cleaning. I wonder why ANACS could overlook these hairlines. (Tbh it took me a while to find the distinct hairlines under the loupe). Does that mean that ANACS grading standard is not as reliable as previous years ago? The grade on the slab is not valid? The coin looks great but I'm sad to see the parallel hairlines under the loupe. The seller is professional and generous as they let me return the coin within a reasonable amount of time. Should I keep this? Again thank you for everyone's contribution.
Edited by tintin_54
05/16/2022 05:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12211 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I keep this?

not if you paid MS $$. buy the coin not the slab is the rule of thumb
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, new photos show the cleaning. An instant killer for me. I would not come close to buying this coin because of the cleaning, unless it was found in a junk silver bin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With modify my original calling and also shift to team Details, AU Details, cleaned, bummer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many straight graded barbers in ANACS holders are called out as cleaned or details. I disagree that the high instances on ANACS coins graded straight are actually details. Unless the shots are taken with good armature coin setups every line or fleck of dust shows menacingly which absolves conisuers from making a wrong call but folks ANACS is not PCI and ANACS will detail a coin appropriately and in an instant.
Were looking at pops of uncirculated barbers with pops in hundreds not thousands at some point the collection community gets that at some point and to some degree many may certainly have been dipped, wiped, treated etc.
Seems no equipoise will ever be found but imo the 3 TPG's know how to call these and by ANA standards.
Those that are quick to "details" a barber rarely show their pickups, mistakes, treasures etc.
His coin would bring 200 + on ebay or GC without a pause likely from some of the harshest critics. MS-61 is defined in many scholarly articles it is a grade and it comes before MS-62
Edited by luvmyCAM
05/17/2022 8:04 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: