Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022-D Kennedy Half - New Unc From US Mint Roll Oddities

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 469Next Topic  
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received an order of 2022 Kennedy half dollar rolls (P&D) the other day. The P coins seemed a little different, but the D's are very different from what I am used to in an uncirculated coin directly from the mint. There are a LOT of scratches and what also looks to be die clashes, but I'm not sure.

I apologize that there are several coins shown in the pictures, but I felt it necessary to be able to show what I am seeing. They are all from the same roll. I have also included a photo of a 2014-D - the same coin from 8 years earlier (also unc. from US mint roll) to show how different they are.

My main focus is on Kennedy's head (obverse) as that is where most of the oddities are that I am seeing.

Any idea what I am looking at here? It seems obvious there has been a design change, but also a weak strike? Clashed dies? I)'m probably over-analyzing here, but look at how different his hair looks on the 2014.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bag marks is what I see.
How many different halves did you post here? more than one for sure (not counting the 2014) hard to break out the different coins without identifiers.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably 4 or 5 coins from the roll. I will split out photos with ids for each. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like weakness. Not the affect areas are showing a slight rough texture? If feel there was some grease deep into this die, that prevented the full strike, thus the area you see is what the unchanged original surface on those affected area, and the lake of detail was prevented during the strike. Not a coin contact issue. Other wise the rest of the design would have been affected the same way by damage. This is not a damage issue.

CoopHome:How can grease prevent a strike on some the deeper parts of the bust and not affect all of them? (Partial Grease Fill)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/11/2022 12:45 pm
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well after looking at these coins over and over again, I have realized a few things. These are pretty bad quality compared to US Mint new uncirculated roll coins I'm used to getting. There was a design change in 2015 which explains the head/hair difference.The head now has much smoother surfaces, especially just above his ear and again just below the horizontal part line. So this is where a lot of scratches and partial letters/words can show, probably from banging/pressing up against other coins, assuming they go into big bags at some point after minted, but before put into rolls.

Also, I can see a lot more of these scratches/anomalies these days with our modern technology with USB scopes etc. you can get online now for cheap.

So I guess they aren't that unusual. I am just surprised at the low quality. The full coin photos taken with a camera phone look a lot better.

Here are 5 of them:

Coin 1:

Coin 2:

Coin 3:

Coin 4:

Coin 5:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also keep in mind that the new coins have the lower profiles. (Probably the reason they die scratches are more noticed on the fields) on the older dies that used a three or move hub process, the profiles are higher. Thus they scratches are probably not noticed as much.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are sold as unc from the mint, that doesn't mean that they are perfect. Just that they have never circulated. Quality control has been going down at the mint for some time. What I don't like is when they make coins specifically for collectors, they seem to have a qc problem. I guess you can put these in the same category as collector's coins seeing they are NIFC.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coins dumped in a bulk container, they will be damage from contact with each other. The weight of the coin makes the contact marks deeper on the coin that is it were a dime because of the weight difference. damage and strike weakness don't add a premium for them, it actually is a distraction and lowers the coins grade.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
05/18/2022 6:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the quantity of contact marks varies significantly from batch to batch, and it looks like you got one of the more beat up batches unfortunately
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coins are the normal ones for Denver this year. And to complete the COOP: After strike the coin fall in an big bin then will pass in an counting machine and fall again in bags. Then will be transported in bags by Truck to one of the 12 bank which will distribute. There will fall from bags in large (10 bags) counter rolling machine. Now you can understand why those scratches.

Second Show an deteriorated Die. The working Dies deteriorate first on the high of the head hairs.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I guess "extremely circulated but only while at US Mint" still counts as "Uncirculated". Is it the same process they use for the Uncirculated sets?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. For uncirculated sets the coins after was counted, fall in an big bin. Then the bin will move to the line for uncirculated sets and will be dump on the line and then by machine will be orientated and the also by machine will be put on the sets. Exception of this rules are the special uncirculated sets and the first strike coins. Those last sets are only from brain new dies.
Edited by silviosi
05/19/2022 3:42 pm
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thanks for the info!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 469Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: