Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 Lincoln Memorial Incomplete Plating

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 708Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add surfacewave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What could cause this ( it is in the center of the coin), contamination on the planchet? How does this affect the coin value? Is it worth getting graded?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Most think it is caused from a cigarette lighter.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cigarette lighter or not me I find a very funny very well strike design coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15173 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Agree with being burned probably with cigarette lighter.
As it is worth 1 cent, not feasible to spend $50.00 or so on getting it graded.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People in the bars waiting for their time to sing karaoke, find things to do. Well the change is handy? They have a lighter.......
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add surfacewave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that is true I may try an experiment on another coin. After all it will still be worth 1 cent
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hum
Found several in bank rolls.
Now I have an answer.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the surface. It was plated over zinc dust. But the zinc dust is still there under the removed plating. Altered coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8985 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the umpteenth time, this is not heat. 95 had a problem with the electroplating. I have several of these that came out of unc string rolls. They can be found in other years but 95 seems to be worse. There is no way someone heated up several 95s one at a time with a cigarette lighter and put them in unc rolls. http://goccf.com/t/407096
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Cujohn on this one, and have posted to that effect previously. The cigarette lighter theory is just, well, silly.

I have found far too many of these cents in rolls for them to be the work of vandals. None of the coins I've found have had any evidence of carbon/soot on them, which would almost certainly be present with a butane lighter approach. (Not to mention the question of mechanics. How exactly does one hold a cent in a bar with a lighter on it long enough to bubble off the copper plating on both sides and not burn one's fingers? Go ahead, try it. I'll wait. )

A car cigarette lighter would apply heat evenly to an entire side but many of these coins show plating issues more in the center and less towards the rim.

Also, close inspection shows no signs of heat related bubbling or blistering of the plating material.

This coin displays clear evidence of split plating all around the inside of the rim which suggests some type of problem with the electroplating process.

Further, the arced disturbances under LIBERTY and on Abe's shoulder are inconsistent with the heat theory as are the small round areas on the reverse near ONE CENT.

I'm not expert enough to opine on the cause of this recurrent phenomena, but suspect this is likely related to incomplete washing of chemicals used to clean the blank prior to plating, FWIW.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2095 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's too many of these to be from cigarette liters. And they're generally only the early 90s. Not many left to test it on. I've got one in my 70 mach1 but it doesn't work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that this a mint made error, though a commonly found one.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree that this a mint made error, though a commonly found one.

I agree. I have kept a few of the better condition ones I find. I vaguely remember seeing one slabbed but not sure.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YxMP3c_Nhzg
This is how they electroplate the planchets. I think they don't get washed off enough before plating, that would explain how the plating wouldn't stick to the zinc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cujohn: What you find it is not the electroplating, it is the very old rhetoric drying machine and was use pre 1990. After was an band. And The electroplating demand two main thinks: 1. Anode and 2. Cathode and it is done in an special ions moving solution.

I agree that if the planchets are not point clean and dry the plating could detached, foliate on also not attached to the material.

Your video show me again that are manny impostors publishing on you-tube.
Edited by silviosi
05/16/2022 7:01 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 708Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: