Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New 1936 Canada Silver Dollar Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 594Next Topic  

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wawahtewa Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New 1936 Silver Dollar Variety "Cracked Jewel"

I was looking closely at my 1936 Dollar the other day and notice a die crack. I searched for information or mentions of this die crack and couldn't find info about it.

This is when I started getting curious. Is there other 1936 Dollars with the same die crack? Yes! The current PCGS plate coin shares the same die crack. As I looked some more I couldn't find another until I stumbled on a MS66 also graded by PCGS. This comfirmed that this wasn't just a die crack but a variety. A specific die produced this crack and now a handful of coins share this in common. Just like a SWL or a Double HP the 1936 Dollar now has its own variety collectors can keep their eyes open for. The "Cracked Jewel" Variety.
Above I created a short article about the variety.

If you want a PDF copy don hesitate to message me!

Julien
Edited by Wawahtewa Coin
05/11/2022 7:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8846 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die crack is not a variety, no matter how many were struck by the same die.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Learn More...
Canada
10184 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

if anything, it is an error, and a very minor one at that.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wawahtewa Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I would like to disagre.

My first example would be the 1955 "Arnprior Die Break" variety which is a variety involving a die break which is iconic and easily recognizable. Note that other that die clashes or die breaks on coins may not be considered a variety due their extreme scarcity and or due that it can't be iconically recognized.

The 1949 which has a "Half Moon" Variety which is cause by a die clash is considered a variety. Yet it should technically be considered an error. But most varieties are often errors or inperfections

An other example would be the 1950 "logs on island" Variety which is caused by an imperfection of the die due to some scratches.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8846 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of those examples are actually varieties, they are errors.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/11/2022 7:55 pm
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wawahtewa Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spp Ottawa I agree it is minor. But compare it to a SWL on a 1935 dollar which also very minor and hard to see compared to other SWL. I'd like to say the Crack going through the Jewel is easier to observe. I do want to understand why this could not be considered a variety?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4343 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others. This is an error and minte or minor as well. I will use Hans Zoell's definition of a "variety" that has been around and accepted for decades.

A variety is a coin, approved by the mint that was struck on a good planchet with good dies and proper pressures and machining or machinery. Anything else is an error. You seem to pluck the term "variety" out of the air and just because someone has described or noted that a certain anomaly is a variety doesn't make it so. Varieties are made by the mint or decisions made by the manager or the floor boss at the time. It may be a change of font, or repunching a weak or damaged part of the design, or a change in monarchs or legends or portraits, or alloy changes, or size changes, or anything of that sort. A very minor die crack on a damaged die is not, nor ever will be a variety.
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wawahtewa Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okiecoiner I appreciate the reply and the information. I agree with that definition and it makes plenty of sense. Yes it is minor but I still think its a fun little discovery. I will keep the post up for future reference. Hopefully someone that likes collecting Dollars with unique traits finds the post I made interesting.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone! Thanks for shedding light on this topic. Always fun getting people talking and learning a thing or 2.
Edited by Wawahtewa Coin
05/11/2022 8:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1762 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say to each their own on things like this.

People pay way up for JOP dollars. I am not sure why. I think I will start putting out coins with my initials.

Things like the 1936 double HP.....or say 1936 dot coins...are all about the hype around the "error", "variety" or whatever you want to call it.

My Two Cents worth....a scarce high grade coin. But there aren't many people who will pay up for this. Maybe it is worth 50% above trend. Maybe 10x. All depends on whether a "Cook" shows up at the auction.

Edited by Smallcentguy
05/11/2022 9:50 pm
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wawahtewa Coin, I like it.

Though they say a die crack should go from one side to the other to be considered a die crack. I have several die cracks that do not and some are still pretty cool. I have always kept them as I like them and that is all that matters to me. Took a look at my own but it is just normal and so I will have to keep an eye out for this one.

Glad I'm not the only one out there that likes these kinds of errors.

Thank for sharing.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: