Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Top 3 Draped Bust For Me

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 449Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  8:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BTV Digger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

Dug this 1797 Draped Bust Large Cent a few weeks ago from an old homesite in a hayfield. S-130 variety with the notable die mark at 9 o'clock. It's corroded, and I unfortunately dinged the reverse pulling it out of the ground (beneath a big piece of brick - Ugh). Still, I was quite pleased with this coin and it's a top 3 dug Draped Bust LC for me in terms of quality among the 40-50 or so I've dug over the years. Thanks for looking.

John

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive find for sure. Congrats!

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/11/2022 8:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10440 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice dig for sure! Congratulations!
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's a top 3

Yes that is awesome. Well done!

What is the bit between the ribbon and the denticles on the obv? Is that an encrustation?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous find there, looks like it could be conserved and would probably be a strong XF, low AU by my observation.

Spence, it appears the OP said what you are referring to, a die marker at 9:00.
Edited by mrwhatisit
05/11/2022 9:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5597 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an amazing coin to dig up. Excellent detail as well, congrats!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That hobby must be a LOT of fun!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
05/11/2022 10:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a die marker at 9:00

Ok yep I see that now. I'll have to break out my Sheldon as I don't remember seeing that before. Thx!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skeletonwizard8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! Wish I found stuff that old here in Colorado. Stuff goes back to like 1860 max.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic find!! I saw that die marker for the first time a couple days ago. You don't see metal detecting finds this nice, well done!
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17687 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the bit between the ribbon and the denticles on the obv? Is that an encrustation?

An internal die break. This obv was used on S-129, 130, 131, and NC-8. S129 comes with no break, two cracks with some chips between them. On 130 it starts out with the chips and rapidly develops into the full internal break. The break then doesn't change much on NC-8 and S-131.

S-129

S-130

NC-8

S-131

Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be raised on the coin.
If that is the case the raised area may the the impression of die damage.
As such, it would constitute a minor error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7713 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find for sure.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7350 Posts
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an incredible find!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: