Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2014 Native American Dollar Proof Issue

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 858Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 2014 Native American $1 coin that has the Matt or frosted details on the front but completely shiny on the back

Anybody seen this before?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures?
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I have taken pictures it looks like the really thin lines and lettering are frosted but it seems like the features of the people should be frosted too

This reverse design of this coin is very different from the rest in the series

Edited by Boba Debt
05/12/2022 7:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks frosted to me - it is called a "Cameo" - CAM, or "Deep Cameo" - DCAM. The reason you probably cannot see the reverse CAM is because of the lack of a larger device design.
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse does look a bit shinier in places than images I have found on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The reverse does look a bit shinier in places than images I have found on eBay.

Based on what I have seen all over the net it looks like there are 2 versions of this coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17710 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take an image of the reverse straight on? There is a variety of this coin that had an error with the frosting on the reverse, The frosting was applied in two stages one pass over all of the devises and a second pass that only did some portions of the natives clothing to provide extra frost/accent to those portions of the design. One die missed the pass that did the entire design ad only got the pass that accented certain features.

The first one showed up maybe six years or so ago, and I identified the cause. About a year later it was reposted where I again identified the problem and Mike Diamond asked to see it, and subsequently did a Coin World article on it. I only know of one other piece that has shown up since then.

The angled image makes it a little difficult to tell, but I think this could be a third specimen. (There is a possibility that other have been found that I don't know about, but this variety is visually impressive enough that if a significant number of piece had turned up the variety would be better known.)
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have one of these

The frosting is not characteristic of the rest of the set and it is as if this coin did not receive the first pass

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a frosting error.
Have a look at this topic:
http://goccf.com/t/260570
You may have found another 2014 dollar with the exact error on it. It had a Mike Diamond write up of it back in 2016.
I have a 2015 dime with a reverse frosting error.
What you may want to do is get a copy of the Coin World article and your receipt of purchase to prove your source and cost to establish provenance of this error.
I wonder if the mint had issues with the new frosting lasers back then.
Edited by Dearborn
05/15/2022 1:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and your receipt of purchase to prove your source and cost to establish provenance of this error.

It was part of a set of proof NAs that I bought on ebay
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17710 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep that's it. That's the third one that I know of..
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Side by side pics

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sure is a dramatic difference between a normal one and yours. Be sure to keep it safe until you can have it valuated. I'm curious as to what it's possible value could be at this point. I have a coin that I'm trying to figure out the same thing that has the same issue, just a different denomination.
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 858Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: