Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated Set Mint "Medallions"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
105 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  11:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought an uncirculated set of coins form 1992 and they came with penny sized medallions with a D and P

I would like to find a S and a W version but don't know how they are listed on ebay

Anyone know what these are officially called?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1286 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my knowledge, San Francisco never had a mint medallion. West Point, certainty not. There are, however, larger versions in souvenir sets. These are about halve dollar size.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9006 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are found inside the uncirculated mint packages to indicate which mint they originated from. (as if the 'D' wasn't enough to indicate which mint it came from - or the lack of one ['P']). Since Denver and Philadelphia are the only mints that produce the uncirculated sets, these are the only ones you will find.
Learn More...
United States
38602 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people use them to fill holes in their albums for coins they feel they may never get (1922 no-D, 1909-SVDB, etc.)
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always called them mint tokens but I don't know if that is the official name - if there is one.

I've used them in my Lincoln sets exactly as nss-52 says.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1157 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could get a proof one from the 1982 proof set
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To be clear, these are the same size as the baby dollars. They were placed in the set instead of the SBA dollar that was not minted that year. In 1983 they reverted to the 1968-1972 proof set lens layout (five coins).
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Boba Debt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I already have this one, it's in the SBA row of my binder :)

Not only is it a proof but it's also stuck like a coin with an inverted reverse
Edited by Boba Debt
05/19/2022 01:08 am
Learn More...
United States
113480 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I already have this one, it's in the SBA row of my binder :)
Excellent!

Mine is in my SBA Dansco page to fill the 16th hole since my set only has 15 coins (I did not worry about rim or mint mark varieties).
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: