Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Bicentennial Quarter Beauty.reverse.speak No Evil?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 171Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1776-1976 D Bicentennial Washington quarter. Pretty neat reverse, not sure what a technical term might be, but is along the lines of the 2021 P Tuskegee Airmen Die Chip quarters. On this one, the drummer boy's left hand appears to have popped or something, spraying die chips, which mostly leave tracks of their paths, to end up embedded in the drummers right side of his neck and cheek and looking scarred up like Leatherface...more Like either Deadpool from the X-Men Origins: Wolverine or Neo in the interrogation room scene from The Matrix...Really interesting effect in my opinion. I count 15 tiny die chips, and of note There are a number of die cracks throughout the reverse, notably from the edge behind the M of AMERICA through the M to the corner of the drummers hat which it goes through, exiting the hat slightly above the drummers right brow, across the field over the stars to the edge between the D of United and first S of States. Another from behind E of America to the drummers left shoulder cap. and another from the edge behind the C of America, insects the previous crack crosses the coin up through the drummers face to connect with the first crack mentioned where it exits the drummers Hat. Cracks are very fine in most spots, will try to take better pics of them when my other phone is charged some. Is this part of a progression that anyone recognizes? Hope y'all enjoy!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57332 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was squeezed in a vise. Note the temple area on the obverse is showing flattening also. I Feel something was squeezed on to this coin that cracked and crumbled as it was squeezed. Not possible to be a mint error. PSD to the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, sorry for this delayed response, I started to reply but then thought better of it and had to go for a walk.
@coop Thank you for your response. Your knowledge and experience is highly appreciated and respected, to the point that your responses often lend a finality to most posts, and have even changed my previous opinions on not only other peoples coins, but even my own coins sitting in front of me. It is because of this that I would ask you to take another look on this one...if you need better photos, I will be happy to provide to the best of my ability, but just imagine I received the one opinion and am coming to you asking for a second opinion since: 1) The only thing hard-pressed would be finding someone to agree that the coin has been with another object and 2) The hand displays clear feeder finger scratcjes, 2 of them, that displace the metal in a northward movement, scratches that are remarkably similar to ones you yourself have referenced in the past and 3) Movement of the metal displaced is clearly evident from tracks it made along the coins surface before settling in the lowest spot, which you will notice on the reverse for this particular series is the right side of the drummers face and neck for all coins minted (Left armpit area and bottom of flames are similar in depth) and lastly 4) Obverse does not display any flattening on this coin, bust actually raises slightly higher than the rim in areas even, at the temple there is only the minute indentation found on all Washington quarters emphasising the juncture between face and hairline. A noticeable gouge is appearing near the temple but no signs to imply excessive force was applied, definitely a sharp downward contact from PMD I think there, bit not nearly with enough force to cause multiple cracks and press foreign materials into the oppositeverse (yeah I know lol)...(to be cont.)
Edited by Flowme911
05/13/2022 8:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few additional diagnostics may help I hope.
Where the die chips have settled, there is some clad merely between at least some of them that appears to have been pushed which implies a press AFTER they settled or as the cause of the hammer die coming down if they hadn't already settled in the low spot (imagine like a tube of toothpaste, which would explain the tracks as each little piece spread to the lowest spot rapidly from the strike at the lowest depression effectively caps them all there. The die raises after the press leaving a little line of fused clad chips! But why the indent is low enough not to push them flat like little clad pancakes right? :)
Should be noted, that a closer look at that area reveals missing clad metal, which obviously ended up at the hand area and enough that resulted in the finger feeders to scratch through where they would otherwise pass over otherwise. The dislodged clad metal chips were pressed but the missing clad area offered enough of a lip that they went over like Niagra falls at its edge. If you look closely you will see the lines of clad metal over that lip to the clad chips resting safely against the bottom of the cliff and underneath them all is the coins copper core, and that has the features of the coin pressed into it where I'm sure the force of the strike caused the copper to fill some of the void and as a result the chips in areas are connected by copper having squeezed up between them.
The result could have only happened at the mint.
But I do respect and value all of the knowledge and experience available here in the Coin Community, and know that my own observations are biased, and I do apologize if I displayed negativity, especially towards you @coop, any/all input will be accepted
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Flowme911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, no additional comments either way, good enough for me. At least none agreeing with the cracked in a vice explanation at least.
No worries though, have in total a 4 coin progression on this, showing the hand in increasing sizes and the face and neck area getting increasingly shadowed and finishing with the coin pictured...and maybe out there somewhere some interior die breaks with retained cuss, or even a shattered die! Be worth looking out for!
Thanks for all the help, but time for bed and still gotta put my vice away...lol
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 171Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: