Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1830 K Charles X 5 Franc Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 217Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
236 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  3:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Found this coin today and notice under a loop some of the black areas have very slight greenish deposits. Is this worth picking out with a needle tip or leave it as is? I'll keep it in a stack with other french francs...curious if it's spreadable to other coins...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Best,

R.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I responded to your 1978 50 francs also

On this one, Id try a wooden toothpick first, see if that old-age grime can come off, then a possible 100% pure acetone soak for some time to loosen organic matter. I'm sure others would say some other things. Very cool and collectable coin to me at least
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roma, I would definitely not use a metal needle on this coin or any other coin.

Are the greenish deposits adherent or chalky?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
236 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mrwhatisit thanks!
@spence - they greenish deposits are pretty well imbedded in some of the features, lettering, and designs.
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok then if this was my coin, I'd just leave it as is.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
236 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence...I feel the same way. My only concern was that the green could spread to other coins, but it is pretty well imbedded and part of the patina in my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19563 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wooden toothpick and olive oil combination could prove OK.
Finish with an acetone bath.

It is possible that this coin mat have been in direct contact with bronze or copper coins for a period of some years.
5 Francs of this period were .900 silver, and so some verdigris may have transferred from the copper or bronze coins. I would think that the verdigris in this case might be comparatively easy to remove.
Edited by sel_69l
05/14/2022 02:58 am
Valued Member
Italy
236 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel I am.thinking as long as it won't spread, I'll leave it. No sense in messing around too much....what do you think?
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rma, that is why I was asking about it being adherent or chalky. I believe that BD is chalky. Yours isn't so I wouldn't worry about it transferring to other coins then.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sound like verdigris embedded in some other corrosion deposits.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I would leave it alone.
Valued Member
Italy
236 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence, thanks! I appreciate the reassurance.
@td and t - thanks . . . I have a number of 5 Franc coins and I like this more than the others; 1830 in France was a tumultuous year!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 217Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: