Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 P Two Feather Buffalo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 208Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:22 pm Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Months ago in another thread I posted an unattributed 1923 two feather buffalo. I FINALLY got the coin back from PCGS but it came back as a non-2F. Suffice to say I'm pretty ticked... I think their graders are overworked and overwhelmed because they whiffed on this one in my opinion. You be the judge:

PCGS Reference Sample:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...s-401/569437

My coin:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/43546558
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a designation that requires an additional up-front payment on submission?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4011 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You already know my opinion on this one. PCGS dropped the ball. No doubt yours is a 2F Doing a comparison there are several pickup points on the obverse that clearly show its the same die. When I have time later I'll do a markup. Only thing to be said is the PCGS finest known example is a later die state. Don't quote me on it, need to look at it more, but looks like the MS example had one more round of polishing than yours did as well
Pillar of the Community
United States
5597 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very unfortunate. That is a no-doubter 2F. Sorry to see this, hope that you can get it corrected! Nice coin nonetheless!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jadenusa really sorry to hear that result, I definitely agree with you and the others that yours is a 2F and such an amazing rarity. There are so few of these that have shown up it is hard to believe the die in this state had much of a life.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't need to look at the PCGS sample, this one is without a doubt 2 feather.
Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for you, it's a 2F.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, at least this validates I'm not crazy or blind

Yes Coinfrog this required a variety code on submission, which I provided. I double checked after the fact as well in case it was an oversight on my part.

The grader also missed a no date 16/16. I don't think they were very familiar with the series sadly. I ended up turning off my membership renewal on this. PCGS' loss, I was going to assemble a full 2F variety set with them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5597 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a shame to hear. I would be interested in seeing some images of that 1916 you mentioned. That's a real nice variety!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear that. It such a shame. I wonder if NGC would cross it and add the variety.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 208Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: