Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Repunched Dies - What Are Your Feelings?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,669Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i would like to know the forums thoughts on this item. That would be repunded dies. do they exist or not .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please correct the spelling in your title.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re-punched Mint Marls stopped in1989 on American coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the post 1990 coins, if the mintmark is doubled, then it would be part of a doubled die or just die wear. Only one year I can think of that has a DDO on the mintmark.

The single squeezed doubled dies are different looking as they are distorted in shape on the die. Here are one of the examples on the Quarters. Note, it is just not the mintmark that is affected, the other devices are also showing a DDO on them because of the doubling on the die. The mintmark is part of the design on the 1990 forward coins, so there is no more mintmark punching of the mintmark. They are part of the design on these mints coins. Another one showing the DDO on the Motto and the mintmark DDO, example:

So there are other examples, but not as well as known examples. These are often missed, but they are part of the DDO on the post 1990 coins.

CoopHome: Why are there no more RPM's after 1989? Why are they called doubled dies after 1990?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/14/2022 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all very much. ok but I was wondering is there any where. that a person can find information of what to look for is there certain markers or anything. I know I have one coin. there is only one way that the N in that State Quarter is doubled. halfway down the digit is the double. the rest of the letters and every thing else is perfect. nothing so how could that letter be doubled. what else besides punching could do that. where the letter would be doubled. there is nothing that moves on that die. so how is that possible. I am going to try to find a punched coin. bugil46 Coop thank you guys for your help. I will see if I can find one besides that N on my quarter.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The DDO / DDRs are only on the central areas of the dies. Not on the outer devices on either side of the coin. But the listing so you can see what to look for is on this link:
http://doubleddie.com/179401.html
That will show you what to look for on this series. The doubled dies are not like you looking for. They are different from the doubled dies in the past. They are using the single squeeze dies at that point on the States and ATB Quarters.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all so much. ok I agree lets get this going first coin 1963 Jefferson 5 cent coin. the 9 - 6 - 3 all Trippel punched. 1 look it over closely. like to know your thoughts . there will be more coming. the more eyes the better. thank you all for helping. the 1 to me appears to clean. not enough marks on it. I am going to assemble that supper camera scope. it will take me about 2 months . hope I can get clearer pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well first off, the devices are not punched. They are created on a master design, then transferred to the master hub:

Then transferred to down the chain of command to the dies. There are steps that today create these all on the design. Nothing is repunched into the dies since 1989 when mintmarks were stopped adding them to the dies after they dies were created.

The area you are looking at is the base of the designs. These are not punched, but just slight die movement during the strike. There is nothing that was even transferred to the design that would be called working hub doubling or a doubled die. That is not present on your coin the hub doubling would be seen on the centers of the devices, not on the outside edges of the devices. The Re-punching of dies ended in 1908 when each die was a creation of its own with several steps that were all added to that die. Machine Doubling is the most common this to see on coins. This is cause by a loose machine. Not a die issue. A doubled die is showing doubling from the hub onto the die, creating enlarged devices on the die. The Machine Doubling caused by the machine, can altered the strike on a doubled die called Machine Doubling. But Machine Doubling can never create a doubled die, as the doubling is on the die, not caused by the machine. On a doubled die the devices will be enlarged in size on the centers of the devices:
Note on these images, the outside edge is not affected, but note the horizontal spread on these devices?

Machine Doubling, only affects the outside/inside edges of the devices. Also die wear also affects the sides toward the rim.

But note on these images, the spread in on the centers of the devices?

On nickels they are more in a horizontal direction.

On Machine Doubling the verticals are affected. But on the spread, it is the horizontal areas that are affected on this die.

During the hub process the alignment can be inccorrect. Different hubs can be used creating a doubled die. A damaged/warped hub can create a doubled die on the die. But on your coin you are looking in the wrong area for a doubled die.

Note on the proof nickel how the Machine Doubling is on the same area as your coins Machine Doubling.

Not the outside of the devices on the centers of the devices is where to look. Hope this helps. This is just a 1% answer of what all that is involved in die creation. To learn more about this, check out more answers to questions you've not thought of yet on this link: CoopHome. Note it is blue in color? When you see that on the site, click on them and they will open up more information on this site. It is a quick reference. On the link I suggested earlier, there are now 15 pages of conversations answering questions and thousands of images to show you what we are discussing. You might be interested in these as they will answer questions that you've not thought of yet. Enjoy. Feel free to ask questions. The best place to do this? Create a new topic with your question. That way others can benefit from the discussion also.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
05/16/2022 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop thank you so very much. this will help me thank you again this is incredible stuff. I want to go back through all this information. so I can really study all this take my time take it in coop thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here coop 1995 Lincoln penny just want to show you the image.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop I am not sure if you want to know about this coin. Its a State Quarter 1999 Connecticut strike through. check it out if you like thank you
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969 S Half Dollar.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the right side of the devices that is Machine Doubling. After the strike, the loose machine smacked that one side of the devices. (Sometimes if even more directions. Like a loose mechanical part can swing in any direction the looseness takes it.
Above Libe area is incuse contact marks from damage to the coin. (Also it show the Machine Doubling on the the right sides of the devices) The date is normal. The affected areas on the obverse are on the earlobes and the motto areas:

That is what is affected on these single squeeze dies. There is only one die that was altered, probably because if was hubbed twice like the previous doubled dies in the past. (something that was not supposed to happen. That is the only one I know of that was hub wrong:
1999-S Proof WDDO-001:

The mintmark was also affected. But they probably pulled this die early. Not much mentioned about this one.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop thank you here I have to disagree. there is a couple little things I would like to discuss with you. that is not for now coop. lets keep going. if you don't mind coop. I would like to have a chance to discuss. a couple of these item small. This is a chance for me to learn. coop I will be back I would like to discuss this an another item from earlier. thank you coop this is incredible stuff. I hope you don't mind. I just want to understand. thank you
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,669Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: