Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 S Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - Struck On Laminated Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 226Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4414 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  01:34 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted some tapered planchets a while back, and was just looking at more of those when this popped up. It's interesting in that it looks pretty similar but is a different thing altogether. Here the planchet lost a bit of lamination near one edge before the strike. Just a minor error but this isn't a bad example of what these look like.

1946-S Lincoln Wheat cent mint error - struck on laminated planchet 2.98g

Pillar of the Community
United States
5597 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive example. I don't see too many pre-strike LAMs that come out looking this nice and unique. Not something we see here often, very nice find!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1188 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, I wasn't familiar with this type of lam.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example.
Learn something new every day.
Thanks Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67600 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very cool!
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a beauty
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! I've not seen this before or if I did, did not realize it.

I know it's a long shot but did you look closely at the mm? Location looks fairly good.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7350 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8017 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slick, indeed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4414 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the kind words! First, no, the coin is not any RPM as far as I can tell, but it's pretty late die stage and those can be tough to see RPMs on. Second, yeah, I haven't had much time to post things for a while. Spring work went bananas which isn't supposed to be the case and for the last week I have been verifying and attributing a huge box of error and variety coins I picked up so actually need the time to get all these things figured out and organized and haven't been posting them. Picked a couple things lately as well, so will be a couple more posts shortly.

I've attributed two of these struck on laminated planchets recently, which is usually about what I might see in a year, so figured worth putting this one up since they are out there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was actually an OMM, not an RPM I was looking at, as far as location and something bulging slightly at the mid turn on the S. You are right though, about the late die state, it would be hard to tell. Very nice find, non the less.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
05/14/2022 2:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2283 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice TB. I saw before something like this. I like your coin very narrow lines between the metal alloy. I test a few in my Lab and show what the folks say woody. Me I like this coin almost for the tinny lines.

PS: I just complete with my own observations over the pre-strike exfoliation due to the bad mixt of alloy.
Edited by silviosi
05/14/2022 2:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7713 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, thanks for sharing the knowledge and images.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: