Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D D Over D? Any Advice?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 527Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  06:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1964-D rpm, just not sure about which,it seems to have full steps but I'm no grader,i thought it was a D/S until informed they didnt have them minted in San Francisco,guess is its D/D? I appreciate any input thank you

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper and larger closeup needed.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What type device are you using to photograph the mm?
Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beaver22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need a better photo to decide. I don't think it has FS. (full steps)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8981 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die is in the later die states. Not the area you are looking at, is in the direction of extreme die wear. (Towards the rim direction) So it is not a RPM. Also the building is showing some Machine Doubling on the outer edges of the building.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the response and really I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask and I'm just curious as to how or why it wouldn't be full steps some of those marks that you see on the screenshot I took you can't see with the naked eye and when compared to other full steps it exceeds or matches in those years, I also took a screenshot of the mint mark Drew my best diagram of what I see as to why I think it's a RPM obviously I'm here for the expertise and I'm not challenging anyone we're saying anyone is wrong it's just a genuine passion for learning about the hobby, I love the Jefferson nickel, my favorite to collect, again I'm grateful for the replies

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order to be FS it has to be FS That means undisturbed lines all the way across. I can only see 1 undisturbed line on this one . The area above the T and C take out all the steps.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...undisturbed lines...

Can't beat this source:

https://jeffersonnickel.org/full-st...son-nickels/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ByFrost: Overall it is a nice coin for Denver nickel 1964. A little bit circulated but nice.

1. The "D" It is not RPM. what you see is from an end of Die life.
2. The full steps must be full with no interruptions from one side to other (left to right). Second; The both end must be strait and well define.
Edited by silviosi
05/16/2022 7:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68834 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper pics still needed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting related thread using a HA 5C that adds even more informative material with a caveat about the consistencies of TPGs.

http://goccf.com/t/356961&SearchTerms=full,steps

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Byfrost
You may wish to consider shooting the mods an 'IM' to request that the subject line have a 5C inserted into the subject line so as to attract more Jefferson nickel aficionados into the mix:

1964 D D Over D? Any Advice? to

1964 D 5C D Over D? Any Advice?

What are the most prevalent years to focus on for FSs where their presence can make a significant contribution to the increase in premium for this series?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mdpmedia In 1964 Denver reused some Dies. I can not tell you now the exact amount of all Dies was use, I will check and come back. It is know that some of the reused Dies give D over D, was a part of the recycle Dies. The big problem with this it is the numbers. Personally I can not access the internal documents, so in my own opinion and not official, must not be to many.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmark is only added before usage. Nothing was added later. If this was a legit thing, it would have been noticed a long time ago. As close as you are looking at this area, it could be a die scratch. We are not here trying to see molecules. If it was punched, then it would be raise. Incuse mark on the die, leaves a raised area on the coin. Even a die chip is bigger than what you are looking at. (A die chip is like a pothole on the die. The void gets filled in with each strike post that die event)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well hopefully these images do the coin justice, thank u again, God bless

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 527Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: