Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1975 D Penny Reverse Extra Letter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 448Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Craig_G to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Reverse side has an A printed under the Last S in STATES. Anyone ever seen this
Pillar of the Community
United States
8543 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a counterstamp. Is the feature raised or sunken/incuse? A large and sharp photo of the obverse might give us a bit more context.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68974 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly my thoughts.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2948 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CraigG to the CCF!

yes, a close up please of
TES of
PLURIBUS

looks like the right size for a drop letter
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15217 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the same size as the "A" in STATES.
I'm going with a dropped letter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5658 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like a dropped letter to me which is very rare and seldom found. Can you provide a clear close up shot of the area?

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Learn More...
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@craig, first welcome to CCF. Second, here is a link to more information about dropped letters:

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=Dropped+letter

I think we still need a closeup image to be sure what you've got, but that link will give you a better idea of this error.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF and Maybe a dropped letter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this looks like a possible dropped letter which would be a fantastic find!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
1637 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Count me in with the dropped letter crowd; looks like a legit error here...
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, I sure would like to see those photos...first time hearing about a dropped letter.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45152 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. We will need better photos, less glare and as much in focus as you can get it. I am leaning towards a dropped letter. Do not clean it and only hold the coin by the edge. Photo of other side also please.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
05/16/2022 04:55 am
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
90 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newbie opinion, going with the dropped letter.
The available pic seems to show a filled die that has affected STA, so that makes sense for the A.
Yes, better close up please.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 448Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: