Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 Farthing Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  10:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all
Still learning my way around on this site so please forgive any 'newbie' errors.
Amongst my inherited collection of old coins was this particular 1935 Farthing. I thought first of all it must have saved some ones life and been hit in the middle by a bullet! Not really, but it certainly was interesting as my google efforts brought up zilch apart from this
http://www.error-ref.com/reciprocal...oncavo_dies/
So I am basically reaching out everywhere to see if anyone has seen this type of Farthing previously? Of course PMD is a possibility however there is no damage as such so I am not sure how it could have occurred. It has been in a box with other coins for at least 40 years that I am aware of. If it is a minting error there would surely be more coins like this out there and perhaps just being unnoticed? I know 1935 was one of the lowest mintages with just over a couple of million coins only. Any thoughts at all would be sincerely appreciated.

Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you jbuck
I guess this one has everyone a bit stumped. I reached out to Colin at About Farthings also but as yet no response. Maybe everyone is busy checking their 1935 farthings. In the meantime I wait patiently
Learn More...
Australia
14366 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Slightly bent" coins like this could have numerous explanations, none of which involve it being a mint error or variety. My typical explanation for such deformation is that the coin might have been used to wedge up a wonky table or chair leg, on a surface soft enough (perhaps linoleum or similar) that there was no damage to the other side.

A bullet, or similar high-impact object, would inevitably do much more damage to the side that waas "pushed in". Thhis was caused by slow pressure, applied over time.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap. Interesting possibility. Have you actually evidenced this previously? I am not sure a Farthing would have been much use being so small in circumference and thin? Also the 'depression' is smack on centre. So would a coin bend in the centre in your scenario without damage either side? I want to test it now with another of my less interesting Farthings. thanks again
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Showed the coin to a coin dealer who verified that it is domed and no damage (a part from the dome). He said the only way to get it truly evaluated and graded is via Sterlings or PCGS. I thought more about what Sap said and struggling to see how that can happen. If the material touching the coin is softer than the coin then it will simply flatten under heavy weight. If it is stronger than the coin then it will damage the coin as well as creating a dome. I am not an expert on physics though so does that make sense? Will probably join PCGS just to see if I can get any closer to solving it. If anyone has other suggestions on how it can of occurred please throw them up. Some very smart people on this side I have noticed. Ps not saying what you posted is impossible Sap but for me I can't see how it could happen and have not been able to find any similar occurrence. I have been proved wrong once today already so happy just to resolve this with some certainty.
Valued Member
Australia
453 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are fuzzy and hard to say for sure.
But I think I can see impact damage on the reverse.
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Valued Member
Australia
80 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Echinda. Trying to get better pics but dealer said no impact markings at all. Will try this pic. Think the grade is pretty good? What do you think?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2022  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dies were made to be slightly concave or convex but not to this extent - probably bent.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: