Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1994 D Penny - Dome Shaped, Possible Doubling On Liberty

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 241Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  05:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Meztido to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all

So a few things here about this penny. It is domed and doesn't appear to have any damage to cause it so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what happened here. I tried to capture the dome but the best thing to show was putting Lincoln face down and showing how it seems the middle is touching the table, as well as putting it in a coin flip, the plastic is being forced up.

Also, and I'm terrible at identifying doubling, but on Liberty, it appears there might be doubling on the letter Y? And what's weird is there is like a ghost like image of the word liberty to the left. Also seems like Lincoln's torso was shifted up.

Anywho, hoping anyone can provide some clarification and hopefully that I didn't spend 10 minutes staring at a damaged good. Even then, the toning and ghost like face was neat to look at either way. Thanks all.

Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does look kinda neat @mez. The coin no longer being flat would be damage. There is clearly something going on with the copper plating on this coin. I'm not sure what exactly though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post-strike damage. Obverse 'discoloration' may be the result of a very short application of high heat--perhaps intentional with a hobby-grade butane torch.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a bent copper.....that is all.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45058 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1994 is copper plated zinc core. Massive heat would just melt it to nothing. Obverse looks like the ole cig lighter thing?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57994 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bent coin. A dead give away that the coin was altered. Best warning to the coins: "Don't go in the Garage. Bad stuff happens there. But they don't listen to me. LOL)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8795 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bent and bad plate job.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: