Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1931-D Lincoln Help Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 717Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
707 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  07:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Coin does not look this good in person. I am worried about the color! Just hoping it's not AT and hope it's UNC
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17470 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe it's AT . All the areas that usually wear first isn't showing any. Better than a 63 but not as good as a 65 . MS-64RD/RB.

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Edited by T-BOP
05/16/2022 09:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8548 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the color/tone is legit. I'm good with MS65.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color somehow doesn't seem right. I'll say MS-64RB. I think.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a little weak in the strike on both sides. the obv looks super clean from marks. reverse I can only see 4 very minor marks and some ticks across "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

I have it at MS65+ probably RB and 66 would not surprise me on this one. the slightly weak strike may keep it from that though

I like this one
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17959 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any cartwheel luster?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any cartwheel luster?

Very little as compared to other coins I have been viewing. This worries me for the correct color. No color changes around lettering and edges. The coin is way more red brown than red. would be there any other small signs of an old cleaning or dip. Badthad the coin seems to be slightly less red than when I receive it weeks ago. However I am now looking through a loupe and did leave it in my console of truck. I don't want to want money on an AT coin. I will study it more. All I am hoping for is an original coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a little weak in the strike on both sides. the obv looks super clean from marks. reverse I can only see 4 very minor marks and some ticks across "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

I have it at MS65+ probably RB and 66 would not surprise me on this one. the slightly weak strike may keep it from that though

I like this one

Help me with seeing a weak strike. I know there are signs but I haven't picked up on that yet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6013 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go MS64
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17959 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning toward market acceptable toning but it is slightly suspect. The 31 S & D can take on some funny colors in my experience and are very difficult to find with cartwheel luster.

When I've bought raw coins like this a good soak in xylene usually quickly answers the question. Most of the colorants used are soluble in either water, acetone or xylene.

I'm guessing 63 based on the luster comment.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally will be an 66. I do not know if the TPG will give you this due to theirs own internal policies on marketing and favor the big certifying members.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the luster is pretty weak then it'll probably go 64rb, possibly a 65rb
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine for comparison in 64bn, and this one has strong luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The odd color and lack of luster seem suspect to me, but if it grades straight, I would say MS-64RB.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Zurlie, I will never understand what the TPG say by eye appeal. Sorry this it is an complete individual point of view (medical we say personal perception). So in conclusion the luster how a grader or others observe must not change the quality and the grading of a coin or banknote.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My impression is that luster and eye appeal are major determinants of how a mint state Lincoln will grade, which is why I would not go above 64 on this coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 717Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: