Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help To Identify Condition Of $1 1923 Silver Certificate In Plastic

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,021Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thank for letting me join-I am new here-hello everyone_
I forgot that I had this and am trying to verify or figure out its condition-before listing it to sell as I have no idea what to put . Would this be uncirculated? Does currency even have that type of grading?
the plastic case measures 8 1/4" x 6 1/4"
The bill looks like it was never in circulation?
I bought it on line many many years ago
thanks in advance for the help

Edited by equalizr
05/16/2022 2:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69018 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the last of the large size silver certificates and was printed in enormous quantities prior to the changeover to modern small size notes in 1928. Your note can be graded, but not through the plastic.

to the CCF!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would I put if listing on ebay as is
I'm sure it would not be worth it to me to search my town to have it graded, Maybe an auction- any thoughts of a description?
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF.
You would need to remove the note from between the plastic and photograph the note with side lighting for us to try and determine the grade. Here is a sample photo of a note with side lighting.

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok
what does that exactly show or tell you side lighting-what are you looking for exactly?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Folds and embossing mostly
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7813 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

SteveinTampa is a true expert so follow his advice to get the answers you seek.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the picture it looks like it has 2 minor folds but we would need to see it with the light like Steve showed. If circulated looks like XF so around $40-$60 if uncirculated (no folds) $75-$100

I would list like you described. Although if it has 2 folds then it circulated.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will do that later today I must be blind where do you guys see minor Folds?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to grade a note from flat images can be a challenge. The first image is a note photographed with standard (from above) lighting. It looks uncirculated. The second image is the same note photographed with side lighting.

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow big difference does the Note need to be on the edge of a table with the flashlight half on the table and half off the table for it to work or can it be on the same level as the note?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My original photo, with the $2 note shows it best. The note is lying on a flat surface and the LED flashlight is lying beside it. Play around with it until you feel comfortable with the way it looks.
Edited by SteveInTampa
05/17/2022 1:19 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
out of plastic case & flashlight on side of note

Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. That's better but by chance do you have a LED flashlight you can use instead of what looks to be the light from an incandescent flashlight ? And, using a dark background helps us determine the condition of the corners better.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add equalizr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
best I could do

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,021Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: