Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 Indian Head Cent - Cracked Planchet?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 337Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to hear some thoughts on this Cent. I'm guessing this is some type of planchet flaw? Cracked planchet? You will see a nice crack by the ribbon and the hairline cracks goes from rim to rim. Also, by UNITED, at first I thought it was PMD, but looking closer I questioned that. Thanks for any help. If more photos are needed I will supply them.

Learn More...
United States
23699 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hp, to me it seems more like a narrow lamination than a crack in the planchet, but I'm not sure. I'm interested to see what others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very small lamination beginning to separate to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, start of a lam.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1750 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with a LAM. You might want to give it an acetone bath especially before taking pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Everyone!

Quote:
You might want to give it an acetone bath especially before taking pics.
John1

Yes, I agree. After I loaded the photos on here I said the exact same thing to myself.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lamination. Good coin though!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin! I believe that is a DDO too, either S-1 or S-2.

https://www.indianvarieties.com/pen...-head-penny/

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice coin! I believe that is a DDO too, either S-1 or S-2.

Thanks! Yes, I think it is Snow-2. Large L over small L. It also shows some doubling on the, D in United, first S in States, the last 9 of the date.
Edited by HumblePie
05/18/2022 2:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: