Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1962 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Mint Error - Struck Off Center On Split Planchet 1.54g

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 297Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4451 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:08 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An "error" lot came up a while ago and this coin was in the mix and the only reason I bought the bunch. There were a couple minor good clips and some damaged coins, but I really liked this one and so went for it.

The coin is struck off center on a split before strike planchet weighing in at just 1.54g. There is also some damage to the coin, with a circular scrape at the rim by LIBERTY and two small pushed in spots on the rim below the bust. Since these are on unstruck portions of the planchet, pretty hard to say when they happened but unrelated to the strike.

I don't see very many of these, and the one I remember had the split side as the reverse. I like that this one has the obverse as the split side. A big plus is a full date as well.

1962-D Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - Struck off center on a split planchet 1.54g

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68799 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty impressive for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2946 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice... nice color too
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8928 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23664 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super nice coin @tb. Glad you are providing a good home for this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19679 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice gross error.
Thinned planchet could have been miss placed just before it was struck. The pusher finger of the minting press may have not quite engaged with the thinned planchet.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45092 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1219 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent coin, and photographs as usual Tropicalbats. Always look forward to your posts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4451 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks, much appreciate the comments and kind words. And while we may never know for sure, I also think some of the bits of peripheral damage was caused by mint machinery and possibly feeder fingers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the area by LIB, that is where the gutter on the die is, that forms the rim. Still a nice find.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5651 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a killer example, very nice pickup. An amazing double error and great eye appeal too.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 297Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: