Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-CC Morgan Dollar- Artificially Toned?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 607Next Topic
Page: of 2

4 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fauzool to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious as to if this appears to be artificially toned and if it's worth it to send it in for a grade? Hopefully these pictures work I used the flash on my phone.

If it's artificially toned could you please explain to me why so I can try to understand.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5858 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sure looks artificial to me. Others may chime in about the proper progression of color change that happens with natural toning. To my eye the color just looks wrong. In particular the area behind Liberty's head looks like some kind of chemical solution was applied to the surface and that chemical reacted with the silver to create this unnatural look.
Not worth submitting for a grade IMO since it would almost certainly be flagged as AT.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68947 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My instinct says AT.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intentionally toned and not market acceptable. Here is a link to a web site with a tremendous amount of information regarding toned Morgan dollars. https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com...oned-morgans

to the CCF!

edit to add - link to AT examples http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tone...s.asp#ntvsat
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
05/17/2022 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely AT. Shame, would have likely been a nice example had someone not messed with it.
4 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fauzool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That really stinks It's artificial. I liked the looks of the coin. From what I know the seller said it was toned in an album but there wasn't artificial toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% artificially toned. Seller either did it himself, knows who did it or got burned when he made the mistake of buying it in the first place.

Seller's of coins like this target novice and uninformed collectors and are trying to make a quick buck. They will tell you what they think you want to hear. (ie- "album toning".). They are trying to unload the coin!

Always remember that most "nice" looking, scarcer date coins like this are not in slabs for a reason. Before buying an unslabbed rare coin do your homework just like you did here!

Edited by westernsky
05/17/2022 1:33 pm
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
4 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fauzool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!!
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a keeper though, 1878-CC is a rarer date
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artificially toned. The colors don't progress correctly from one shade to the next and whatever is going on behind Liberty's head is troublesome as is all the toning on the rim from 12 o'clock to 6.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4259 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Non market acceptable toning .
There is no such thing in today's
market as ARTIFICIAL OR NATURAL TONING .
Toning is classified as market or non market acceptable.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12217 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Late to the party here, but I agree, AT. I agree with the upthread comments. Album toning comes from the sulfur content in the cardboard and tends to have a more even overall color, with the heavier toning in a circle near the rims.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dipped and retoned, but attractive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what a bummer but yes
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 607Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: