Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Lincoln DDO - Fs101. Cherry Picked From Ebay

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 587Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NIce find!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A green (fresh) thorn would be better. Keep in mind that the gunk you see probably has sand/grit on the mixture. A toothpick could move it, but the sand in the grit can leave a scratch. So you need to dissolve it a bit to release the gunk from the coin. I use a soak in mineral oil to loosen the junk. It is more like the lubricants that are used on machines. But the thorn will give, where as the toothpick is stiff.

Experiment on common circulated coins to get down the technique first. On the coins on the image above, I covered 1/2 with tape, for the before and after images. Only use this on heavily circulated coin with the issues seen above. Never use this on a BU coin or even attempt it on a proof coin. The mineral oil will not remove stains, only dissolves the greasy gunk on the coin. Not to be used as a cleaner for coins, but to remove attached gum around the devices. Stains are permanent. Carbon spots are permanent. Split plating can't be fixed. So it would be a waste of time trying to do something that couldn't be done. Always try on a common normal coin from circulation first. Don't ruin a good coin.

CoopHome: How can I remove gunk from around the devices of circulated coins. Is there any risk in removing this? Will this make the coin new again? No! Just a removal method for gunk attached to the devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add skidfive to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all who responded. I was considering sending the coin for grading, I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear cleaned, it appears to be in the stage where it is changing from RB to BN. Dont know exactly how to describe it.

I could be completely off with that assessment.

Im also nervous on acetone / mineral baths and restoring. I know grading companies can do their own restoration however it can also open up more problems.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45092 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think it is worth sending in,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2989 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick. Congratulations.

That's a $100 AU coin and would be about $30 to put it in an ANACS slab.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: