Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-S Eisenhower Silver Dollar Prototype

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,063Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  2:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Exrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I am curious if anyone can help me determine if this is a prototype coin? This coin is one of my family members, who received it from his father years ago. He has 2 of them, and this one stood out to me because it looked different than the other. I have attached some information I found online as well as a picture of the front and back of the coin. I'm sorry the pictures are not all to great, because he did not want to take it out of the case it is in. Please let me know if anyone has an idea\ opinion on if this could be a prototype?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck? My Ike book reference copies are packed away at the moment. The Flynn 1st edition book I have doesn't seem to even mention the prototype Galvanos or transitional patterns. But that moon surface does look unfinished.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1656 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your coin appears to be a 1971-S proof
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nick10, I agree with you, looks like a proof
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8902 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After I look of the patterns of 1971 and compare with your coin, I am sorry to say you that your coin it is not an pattern. The photo I edited will show very clear this allegation,
Learn More...
United States
113397 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, exactly what I was thinking of, I just moved my "Ike Group Book" to the storage unit last month to make room for the 4 big boxes of stuff arriving this week. Do you know if Flynn, Wexler, and Crawford's 2nd edition of "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower dollars" book covers the prototype Galvanos? Nothing in the first edition I can find which is at my desk now.

Here is the corrected IkeGroup web site (the link inside) the PDF jbuck posted is now returning a 404 error. They must have moved since putting out that article.

https://www.ikegroup.info/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/19/2022 3:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The link work
Learn More...
United States
113397 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
West was saying the link inside the PDF is incorrect, and that is true. It references the old .ORG site and not the new .INFO site.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My link work well or maybe when I click go direct in my database?. If someone want the PDF just to contact me and I will be glad to send.
Learn More...
United States
113397 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The link to the PDF is fine. The links inside the PDF are not. There are links in the PDF that are to the old site...
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Exrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the information ;-)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68778 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, learned a lot here.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
583 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I love Numismatics!

I didn't even know this existed, and it is so interesting to me!

Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused or perhaps not comprehending the the information on these rarities. So what are the diagnostics to look for when studying these? Looks to me like there is a difference on the reverse earth where Florida is in close proximity to South America. Anyone have a closeup of that earth detail?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,063Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: