Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Indian Head Cent - Snow-7?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The digit in the pearls are not as defined as I have seen before, but I think this may be MPD-003/Snow-7? Does anyone else think so, or no?

https://www.indianvarieties.com/cen...883-mpd-003/

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might be the Snow-7 I can't say for sure, are the points in the shield touching the denticles on both top points? If so I'd say yes.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never knew to look for that.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me, here is what Rick Snow has to say about itin the 3rd Edition of his book:

Quote:
The Flying Eagle & Indian cent Attribution Guide
3rd Edition, Volume 2 by Richard E. Snow

S7 1883, 18 in pearls.

Obv. 12: (B) The base of a 1 digit is visible over the third and fourth pearls. The base of an 8 is visible between the ribbon end and the neck truncation.
Rev. L: Olive leaf and shield points connected to denticles.

This is a very important variety that was recently discovered. It appears to be rather scarce.

Condition Census: 64BN, 63BN, 55

My guess is your coin is around a VF30 grade so not the top of the pop but still a desirable and rare coin. His Star rating system says a 3 star coin is worth between 3 and 5 times the normal value, somewhere around $80 and $120 at today's values.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
05/18/2022 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for that info.

The price jump between VF30 and EF40 is quite a leap, on PCGS, VF30 $80 - EF40 $700. I'm happy with it whatever the Grade may be, it's a keeper. I like the in-hand color.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely a keeper and one to look out for more at coin shows and on eBay, etc. You coin is a close to EF/XF the reverse wear is holding me back . Might be worth getting slabbed in a PCGS holder and then get Rick to Photo Seal it if possible. Needs some VerdiCare IMO, could be conserved if one knows what they are doing, I wouldn't mess around with it if you don't have experience at conserving though.

Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great service Mr. Snow offers with the Photo Seal. It looks like he is accepting submissions. $15 fee, plus return postage and insurance. Can't beat that.

I think if I ever sent the 1883 Cent to PCGS to get Graded, I would go ahead and get PCGS to attribute the variety and put it on the holder.

I do have this 1909 Cent that is a DDO Snow-1. I am definitely going to see about sending this Coin to him asap. It has a pretty decent list value in MS64RB.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got to know Rick pretty well in the early 1990's when he was at Allstate Rare Coins Elliot Goldman's Tucson coin store. Spent quite a few ANA Seminars shooting the breeze over beers discussing coins and telling stories, he is a great guy. His Photoseal service is very fair and adds to the value as much if not more than CAC on the right coins.

Are you familiar with his grading scale ideas? Interesting as well.

I found his PDS concept was well thought out.

LY7KMZRmkIw

He also did a series on grading Indian Head cents, which can be watched here:

Grading G-XF FE and IHC...
GGsBtWsNf_8

Grading XF45 to MS62 FE & IHC...
ng6DdLkvtuc

Grading MS63 IHC...
mLbMYjR6TKQ

Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting these videos! I am watching them now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5650 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin! I have never tried that photo seal program but I have certainly considered it and I might send some coins to home someday. Sounds real neat!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: