Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Quarter-Unknown Date, Struck On A Tapered Planchet, 5.45gms

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 535Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe this is either a 1944 or a 1954 Silver Quarter, the strongest part of the date area looks like it supposed to be a 4 IMO but not sure. Struck on a tapered planchet, under weight about 1-Gram. Thanks for looking! Also it goes from 0.4 Mm to 1.2 Mm using a caliper

Thought I would add these, was trying to get better edge on pics...here is the thickest part

Here is leading between the thickest and thinnest part (There is paper between the toothpick and coin so I am not touching the coin with the toothpick and very light pressure...It is not flat so I pushed it flat onto the surface)

Here is the thinnest part.

Edited by gsp193
05/19/2022 12:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5650 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really neat looking piece, very nice! Strong and obvious to boot.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68705 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very cool!
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CoinHunter27! I'm glad to add it to my small collection, I have been trying to learn about underweight and tapered planchets and came across this on Ebay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2943 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm maybe on a nickel planchet
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure @ levels-One part of the edge/rim is as thick or just a bit thicker than a normal quarter and from there it tapers down around both sides to the weakest part. The reeding is weak at the thinnest point.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is a great find, nice to have in any collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks oddguy was glad to be able to get it!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57994 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like a thinned planchet. Not the devices on the reverse that are there are inside the normal width of the planchet. Appears that most of the setup was present. But being too thin, did not fill out the rim. The thin struck areas show no rim. The full thickness areas do show a weak rim. So I'm thinking a thinned planchet error, underweight.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a taper to me. .4 to 1.2mm.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why you compare the silver Quarter with an clad Quarter? Seem to be a tinny planchet. The silver Quarter was 6.3gr so you coin it is .8gr less (I take in consideration the circulation)
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cujohn and silviosi.
@silviosi thats all I had not in 2x2's or capsules.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand you and I do not blame. I do not thing you are one of the few crazy (like me) for Quarters, Halves and Dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8155 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting quarter - thanks for sharing pics with us
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: