Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944-D Lincoln , Intrinsic Metallic Inclusion

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 532Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through some boxes to organize and realized that I had never imaged this one. Looks like a zinc globule didn't mix and was rolled to a line for the reverse of this 44. This one came from an unc. roll that I searched long ago.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8965 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have three dots of same material on the coin. To me seem and fit with an electronic solder tip. We will see other's opinion also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like @Dearborn, never seen anything quite like it. Struck through something? If it's UNC, it probably hasn't been tampered with.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lamination?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With this new pic it's definitely not a lam as the shape of the anomaly at the edge is dovetailed. This would indicate that during the strike the coin metal flowed over something to form the rim. This now makes me think this coin was struck through something that has been partially retained. Hmmm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for my first post, I didn't see it is incuse. So it is struck through. The white must be some oxide.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
J, you are one of the last people I would question, you have probably taught me as much as anyone, about Lincolns but take a look at what looks to run parallel the the reverse. Does it go through? Mrhakfbacon may be on to something.
As always, great pics!

-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting !
If nothing else the anomaly on the reverse follows the direction of the roller lines. That's a vote for it being an inclusion in the planchet.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4451 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite an interesting coin. My thoughts follow OP's and others, and can't come up with a final conclusion. The grain of the coin can be seen in the coloration of the obverse, and the anomaly follows that angle. The white very much appears to be zinc corrosion. That would lead to a lamination after strike along a bit of poorly mixed alloy allowing for the exposure of a strip of zinc which corroded in place. But there is some reason to believe it could be a struck through zinc scrap as well.
Learn More...
United States
23669 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting piece! My vote is for this being a detached lam with foreign residue (e.g. baking soda) partially filling the void. The three round pellets appear to be granules that have migrated out of that gap.

Thoughts on giving this a soak in distilled water and/or acetone?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence , just a note this AM. Because of the dovetail shape that the copper rim has formed, I don't thing a lamination has occurred. In my work, I use dovetailed shape slots to reliably anchor materials together. Because the rim has formed this shape, I feel a lam could not have escaped that slot.
Whatever material that had filled that gap in the rim , has to me, oxidized and crumbled away over time with the remnants being seen in my pics.
Soaking the coin, I feel , would not be the right thing to do as it would remove the last evidence of what was there before the strike.
Edited by stoneman227
05/19/2022 06:36 am
Learn More...
United States
23669 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes fair enough. It is your coin and of course you should do with it as you please.

With respect to the dovetail feature on the rim, I'm 100% in agreement with you in regard to relatively unyielding materials (e.g. wood or blocks of metal). In this specific case of a thin strip of copper, however, I don't see why it couldn't have deformed as it tore away from the bulk metal of the coin.

If you happen to have good access to a local university, you might be able to get some time on the scanning electron microscope with a prof or grad student. EDS would help to determine what proportion of which elements are in that strip.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2385 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what was say, Trop, Spence, Stone. An Lab with SEM-EDX will be the best if I took in consideration some oxide we see. An Medical school must have this, also metallurgical university also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2990 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of like some type of material being "rolled-in" by the rollers making the sheets. Especially since the anomaly is going in the same direction as the roller lines.

Would an XRF scan work on degraded/oxidized metals?

If so, an XRF scan might tell you if it is a metal.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8965 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete has something here, After looking at the newer pictures, I too, think that it added while being rolled out. I wonder how many more could be out there that was never found or recognized as something special to be considered.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: