Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery Eurasia 1991 Coin Commemorating 28.5.1918

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 284Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
101 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one has me stumped, no luck with Russian, Azerbaijan, or Armenia coin references. Any clue what this coin is? Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is for the first republic of Armenia. I think it is an Armenian medal to celebrate.
Learn More...
United States
23669 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is Tigranes the Great in portrait, right?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Canada
101 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah-uh!!! Found it! It's something called a 'Pattern' coin.

Armenia 1991 1 stak - struck in two different metal, brass and nickel-copper. Nickel copper coins are struck in both UNC and Proof condition. In total, three different varieties exist. All pattern coins were struck in Leningrad Mint. They were supposedly struck as souvenir coins to award earthquake participants for the 1988 Spitak earthquake. This earthquake occurred in Armenia December 1988 and the rest were sold as fundraising event for the earthquake relief. Mintage is supposedly at 2,000 each. More information can be found here (article in Russian): http://www.armeniancoins.narod.ru/11.html#12288;

This particular eagle design appears again in the 1994 silver commemorative coin featuring "Sardarapat battle of 1918". The reverse design featuring the Armenian king is represented again for the 2003 14k gold commemorative coin featuring "Tigran the Great".

Here's the translation from the Russian website link:

Samplers, USSR, 1991, 1 stack

ABV Two coins - a stylized image of Tigran II from his coins (top) and with the inscription mek stack [one stack] framed by pomegranate branches. Above the coins there is a circular inscription tigran metzi artsate dram m. t. a. and a gift [silver dram of Tigran the Great, 1st c. BC e.], under the coins there is an inscription baregortsakan [for a good deed, apparently meaning help in eliminating the consequences of the earthquake of 12.1991] and the date - 1991

REV A stylized image of an eagle whose wings represent the peaks of Ararat, a composition consisting of a cross, a sword and a portico of Garni, on the right is the MMD sign, on the top is the date 28.5.1918 (the date of gaining independence), on the bottom is the inscription Hayastani Khanrapetutyun [Republic of Armenia]

Donations intended for distribution to persons who participated in the liquidation of the earthquake in Armenia.
The drawing is by the same master (A. A.), who made the anniversary 3 rubles "Armenia" CCCP. Circulation: 2,000 pieces, MMD.

Metal: brass (unc, 17.996(25) g, 2000 copies), nickel (unc, 17.108(25) g, 2000 copies), nickel (proof, 17.245(25) g, 2000 copies). The entire edition returned to Armenia and was distributed to those who distinguished themselves in the analysis of the earthquake. Price $75/coin (Moscow, purchase: write)
Learn More...
United States
23669 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice work on the attribution @diver. Can you please share your keywords or search terms? I'd like to learn your search technique. Thx. I spent quite a bit of time looking on the interwebs but didn't find an exact match.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Canada
101 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I get really stuck and Numista doesn't work for me, I use whatever I can off the coin/banknote in Google and I start going through the 'Images' tab. Usually, someone, somewhere has taken a picture then at least I've got a starting point from there. The 28.5.1918 was a good lead towards Armenia at least.
Learn More...
United States
23669 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thx for the pro tip! I was just using 1918 rather than the whole date.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3464 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are my examples. One brass UNC and two nickel copper - UNC and proof.

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Edited by gxseries
05/19/2022 09:54 am
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job of tracking it down.
Valued Member
Canada
101 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey @gxseries, you da man!

It was your website that I used for reference to track down the origin of the coin! Since you have all 3 examples, would you say the one I have is the nickel UNC? Plus what do you think the value of it is?

Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 284Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: