Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Pickup - 1900 O Morgan Beauty

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 454Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This little beauty is the latest addition to my schizophrenic VAM collection. Please let me know what you think! Thanks.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5566 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find.

Schizophrenic VAM collection? Lol. Please elaborate.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
05/19/2022 07:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mint mark is tiny...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Schizophrenic VAM collection? Lol. Please elaborate.

I was using that term to describe my disordered way of building the grouping. It's almost like my early days of collecting where I just wanted everything that looked cool. I have learned to focus in the other parts of the collection, but these VAMs are so intriguing I leap before I look sometimes. I've scored some cool cherry picks but also ended up with a pig in a poke at other times. I've chased something really cool and have gotten into bidding wars that (thankfully) I was priced out of before ending.

I think it is time to step back and focus in this area, too. I don't plan to build a VAM set, but there are some varieties that are too cool for me to pass up.

Quote:
I think the mint mark is tiny

Me, too. I've heard that most of these were actually produced in silver, sometimes at higher purity than the Mint versions - do you find that to be the case?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10523 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know all were produced in silver. Here is a link to a very insightful discussion on this group of CC's.
http://goccf.com/t/265543&SearchTerms=counterfeit
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1226 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours looks like a micro O tilted right, and also has the die scratches between U and M, as well as the very near date.

1900-O VAM-5 Small Micro O Tilted Far Right, Very Near Date, Doubled Obverse.
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
800 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2343 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the replies, attribution and link to the previous discussion. I hope to find an example of a micro-O counterfeit for each year eventually.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: