Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Coin Maximinus Thrax

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  3:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!
How much can this roman coin cost?
I know that its rare. Maximinus Thrax
from behind / PM TRP IIII COS PP

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2568 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....TRP IIII for this Emperor are not just rare but very rare!....Minted in Rome before April 238...I do have this note, but I can't remember from where?..
TRP IIII only 1 example among 1855 denarii of Maximinus in hoards listed in BMC, page 88.
As to price I have no idea but probably a lot
Thanks for sharing..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Is a TRP IIII denarius for this emperor even cataloged?

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion a pitiful fake combining an obverse of Maximinus with a reverse of another reign.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, you are mistaken

Info from augustuscoins.com
Here is another example from year 4, his final year:

TRP IIIIPM TRP IIII COS PP (year 4)
Struck 238 before April [BMC]
BMC 219
Sear 8314 (no photo)
22-19 mm. 2.25 grams.

This issue is very small. Maximinus lost control of the Rome mint when the Gordians were proclaimed emperors at Rome in the beginning of April, 238. BMC suggests the mint had been preparing even before that by not issuing many coins in the name of Maximinus in 238
Learn More...
Australia
14363 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is a TRP IIII denarius for this emperor even cataloged?

Yes. The reference is apparenty "RIC IV Maximinus Thrax 6". There are two of these in the ANS collection, which don't appear to be die matches to each other, at least for the reverses: http://numismatics.org/search/resul...Thrax%206%22

Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2568 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes we also know of Sestertius TRPIIII RIC #40 So for sure he was still minting coins in early 238...

As to the authenticity of the op coin I give no opinion via photos.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2652 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect these, but the "patina" reminds me of just about every Chinese fake coin I've seen.

But still hoping for Wee that it's genuine.
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
United States
3305 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FECIT
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's genuine for sure.
Founded in a field in the region in Eastern Europe which is rich on denarius:)
But the question is about the price)
Thanks everyone for answers!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wee, not meaning to sound too harsh here, but your case for authenticating provenance is pretty weak. Who precisely found it and under what circumstances? Otherwise it's just a story that many fakes come with.

An Eastern Europe origin also sets alarms off, as the region, particularly Bulgaria, has become a hotbed for counterfeiting Roman coinage.

Here's what probably ought to be done with such a potentially rare piece - have its composition analyzed via x-ray fluorescence (XRF). Unless a forger was really clever and utilized a silver flan made up from a genuine Roman denarius of the correct period, the purity and presence or lack of certain trace elements ought to settle the issue definitively.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
05/23/2022 8:55 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was founded last in summer 2021 in Ukraine by one of my friends with MD Deus light. Among other finding there were some Scythian items.
Ok, thanks everyone again, I'll try to find the answer on some European forums.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: