Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Severus II Ae Follis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  8:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In the chaotic scramble for power that followed the abdication of Diocletian (which ultimately resulted in the ascension of Constantine the Great), Flavius Valerius Severus, known to history as Severus II, served as something of a pawn. Made Augustus by Galerius, he subsequently failed to dislodge the usurper Maxentius in a siege of Rome, and in fact his legions deserted him there, going over to the enemy. Forced to flee to Ravenna, Severus II was nevertheless taken captive and either murdered or executed shortly thereafter.

This coin is roughly 28 mm in diameter and weighs 9.8 grams. I have it as RIC VI 26a, struck at Heraclea.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3305 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a marvelous piece
The issues of Severus are tough to find in this VF+ condition
The style is also quite good
For some obscure reason the depiction of Mssr Genius on the reverse Heraclea folles often lack detail and are often ill proportioned
Anything under $100 would be a good buy
Prices I have seen of late might even stretch to $200 !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19686 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Severus 11 is always difficult to get any example.
This one much better than most.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
This is my most recent Severus II.

Obv:- SEVERVS NOBILISSIMVS CAES, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:- GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia
Minted in London
Reference: RIC VI London 59a, LMCC 4.02.016
Weight: 8.1g
Diameter: 27.2mm

Part of a pot hoard found in Rauceby, UK in 2017. The hoard given the reference 2017 T649 by the British Museum who catalogued the hoard.

This coin given the hoard reference BM # 081

Pillar of the Community
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wow. That's lovely, one could hardly ask for any better condition.

See: https://www.granthamjournal.co.uk/n...red-9069827/

Colligo ergo sum
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19686 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the provenance !
For all CCF'ers:
Google:-
"Rauceby Hoard".
Edited by sel_69l
05/22/2022 04:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the second nicest coin I have from the same hoard. I think this one has more eye appeal.

Obv:- MAXIMINVS NOBILISSIMVS CAES, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:- GENIO POPVLI ROMANI,
Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia
Minted in London
Reference: RIC VI 59b, LMCC 4.03.024
Weight: 9.9g
Diameter: 28.2mm

Part of a pot hoard found in Rauceby, UK in 2017. The hoard given the reference 2017 T649 by the British Museum who catalogued the hoard.

This coin given the hoard reference BM#092

Pillar of the Community
United States
4635 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In doing some research into these reverse motifs, I discovered that for the Romans the term genius didn't correspond to our modern definition, but was instead a rather more complex and mystical concept, referring to the spiritual forces or beings that guide individuals through life, infusing every person, animal, and even places. Indeed the entirety of the Roman people would have been believed to have their own shepherding genius (or genii). A cynical person might conclude that via his coinage, an emperor could be asserting that he also fulfilled that crucial role.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1073 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The precise meaning of the Genius of the Roman People on the coins of the Tetrarchy is open to interpretation I think. (Re-)introduced as a motif by Diocletian, it could be a symbol for the strength and unity of the Roman people under its new four-emperor rule (or for the emperors' ambitions in that direction). In extension it could be seen as symbolizing the unity of the Roman people in its (expected) support for the emperor. Or, why not, as the emperor being the guardian of the strength and prosperity of Rome and its people.

Interesting is that the Genius looks very much like the Genius of the Army which appeared on earlier 3rd century coins, with the same attributes. No doubt the army was key to the strength of the emperors as well as Rome; is there a deliberate merger of the geniuses of the army and the people here?

It is a bit frustrating that while the meaning of the symbolism here was probably entirely clear to the Romans of the time, we have to resort to guesses ...!

Anyway, here is my Severus II, GENIO POPVLI ROMANI type:

Obv: FL VAL SEVERVS NOB C (Flavius Valerius Severus Nobilissimus Caesar)
Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius holding patera and cornucopia, wearing modius and chlamys.
Minted in Lyon/Lugdunum, 1st officina, 305-06.
RIC VI 193.
10.9 g, 28 mm.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: