Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Judaea Coin For Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  12:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can somebody help me identify this coins. I don't see any details that I can use to search the internet except for the letters that I have no idea what term to look for. The flip it came in says its a "Widow's Mite" 103-76 B.C., Alexander Jannaeus. Struck 76 B.C. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what it is, other than it's cast. A widow's mite has a star (a radial design) on the obverse (not present here) and an anchor on the reverse (not present here). So how they came to that description, I don't know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no idea what it is, other than it's cast. A widow's mite has a star (a radial design) on the obverse (not present here) and an anchor on the reverse (not present here). So how they came to that description, I don't know.

By cast, are you saying it might be a counterfeit or a copy made years later?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it could still be ancient. But widow's mites (or the coin generally considered to be the one mentioned in the Bible) have a particular design, which this doesn't appear to have. Someone may have called it that to make it more saleable, on the basis that no-one actually knows which coins they were https://www.ngccoin.com/news/articl...widows-mite/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having examined thousands of "widow's mites" in hand over the years, I believe your coin is genuine and essentially as described.

The coins of Alexander Jannaeus range from quite well executed to extremely crude. According to David Hendin, some of the cruder pieces have "barbaric or incomplete" inscriptions and "seem to carry crude linear designs instead of stars on the reverse". The coins of this period were not cast but struck on cast strips which were separated after striking, resulting in their characteristically odd fabric.

The smallest and crudest, such as your coin, are associated with the "widow's mite" of the New Testament. The assumption is that the coins were so common that they were srill in circulation during Jesus' ministry. "Mite" is the 1611 KJV translation of the Greek word "lepton" (plural "lepta"). In the Gospel, Jesus tells the story of a poor widow who offered "two lepta, which is a quadrans". The point of the parable is that the widow's offering counted for more than the offerings of the wealthy because she "out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had."
Edited by Kushanshah
05/22/2022 2:23 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair enough, sorry I doubted it! Widow's mites encompass a much wider range of coins that I suspected.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1182 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hello There to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having examined thousands of "widow's mites" in hand over the years, I believe your coin is genuine and essentially as described.

The coins of Alexander Jannaeus range from quite well executed to extremely crude. According to David Hendin, some of the cruder pieces have "barbaric or incomplete" inscriptions and "seem to carry crude linear designs instead of stars on the reverse". The coins of this period were not cast but struck on cast strips which were separated after striking, resulting in their characteristically odd fabric.

The smallest and crudest, such as your coin, are associated with the "widow's mite" of the New Testament. The assumption is that the coins were so common that they were srill in circulation during Jesus' ministry. "Mite" is the 1611 KJV translation of the Greek word "lepton" (plural "lepta"). In the Gospel, Jesus tells the story of a poor widow who offered "two lepta, which is a quadrans". The point of the parable is that the widow's offering counted for more than the offerings of the wealthy because she "out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had."

Thank you for the information, it really helped with my search!
Am I right to assume that my coin is Hendin#1153?

I read online, just like you said, that this variety was most often crudely made. Although I don't see an anchor no matter how hard I look, I see the top of a wheat stalk
Edited by Hello There
05/23/2022 11:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the current edition of David Hendin's book but based on the link below, I think you are correct with 1153.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...idows%20mite
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: